Self esteem post,......Wow.

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Re: Self esteem post,......Wow.

Post by veggiebug »

I can only remember one time I was truly picked on, and a former friend wrote me a note that called me a "lop sided freak". That was the worst one I remember, the best moment was also in Elementary school when someone stood up for me in gym class. We were playing volleyball and someone yelled out to use 2 hands.

I do agree the best time in my life was at camp, when I was with "my people". I miss everyone in my daily life.

-Traci
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

Ive done this thing, where i kind of just throw my arm on top of my head, because it naturally doesnt reach... so its been kind of a way for me to make friends at college- its one of the first things i tell people... and i have a LOT of things wrong with me... depression... SI... BPI... im bi.... i mean they're not all "wrong" persay, but i just have alot on my plate to deal with, and making people laugh makes it fun... so alot of times i get "do that thing!" and i know what they mean... and EVERYONE bursts out laughing!
~Mel, 20, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI
smith727

Post by smith727 »

Karate girl,

I see by your name that you are 1st kyu (ikkyu?) When will you test for first dan (Shodan), and what style do you practice?
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

that was actually a sn from a while ago, but i still use it all the time b/c it's easy to remember- im a 1st degree (i almost got my 2nd- but came to college) in shorin-ryu shorin-kan karate do. well i was.. i miss it! but college comes first!
~Mel
~Mel/23/LOBPI
smith727

Re: Self esteem post,......Wow. Bump for Jennifer

Post by smith727 »

Jennifer,

Being set apart is something that most of us go through. We all have to find a means to cope. For me it was getting involved in a Judo school. (It's a little easier to mock someone who won't drag you out behind the school and whale the tar out of you.) I would recommend that you get him into something that he can excell at, something that will give him an edge to compensate for his loss of limb. Speaking from experience, it has helped me.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping up.

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Baeta

Post by Baeta »

When I was little, because my fingers (my pinky and ring finger on my right arm)were curled up, kids used to call my arm "the claw" or call me crippled. It makes me feel ashamed at times but then I realize if ppl were not such jerks to me I would have never stood up for myself for the first time and became strong from it. Though its hard to get called any name.
Luc

Post by Luc »

Your comment about the "shirts and skins" games brought with it a flood memories. I hated to take off my shirt!
My muscles imbalances always made me feel inferior, even though I was a decent b-ball player.
Luc

Post by Luc »

Funny you mentioned Judo smith, I was looking at a judo book at the local libary here, and it seems like a challange for an erb's sufferer like me to excel in. I could probably not throw from my left(Erb's) side very well. It's the whole ackward, limited motion thing, I'm sure you guys understand! But your doing well in Judo?
karategirl1kyu

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I took karate for quite a while as well.. and I learned how to do most things correctly, it was a little difficult, but if you make sure your instructor knows about your limitations and is willing to push you! It was a great experience!
~Mel
~Mel/23/LOBPI