opponoplasty with Dr. Nath

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jquackenbush

opponoplasty with Dr. Nath

Post by jquackenbush »

Help! Ben is scheduled for an opponoplasty (spelling?) on April 22nd. Dr. DaVino will remove the pin from his osteotomy at the same time. I understand that this surgery is to make his thumb oppostitonal. Has anyone else had this done????
Francine_Litz

Re: opponoplasty with Dr. Nath

Post by Francine_Litz »

I think that this is the surgery that Louise's elizabeth just had at Shriners. You may want to email Louise...they are here now and won't be home until the weekend.
-francine
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Francine and Louise it was good to hear that your Elizabeth is doing well. Having a functional thumb would be incredible. How old is Elizabeth?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am an adult tbpi, but I had the oppensplasty (sp?). They took a tendon from my index finger and put it in my thumb to do exactly what you said, to give me opposition and my thumb not lay flat against my hand or in the palm of my hand. 4 weeks cast, splints after that and pt. Don't be surprised at the incisions though. I think I had 5 with this surgery.
I hope everything goes well.

Kathy
jquackenbush

Post by jquackenbush »

Louise, did they take the tendon from Elizabeth's injured hand? I was just wondering because Ben has very little flexion and almost no extension in his middle finger right now.
Thanks, Jenny Q