acupuncture for pain control???

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

acupuncture for pain control???

Post by cbe411 »

Hi again! I was reading that acupuncture can help with pain control. I was wondering if anyone has tried it and has it helped?? I get horible shooting pains in my hand, sometimes they are just unbearable. I was taking oxycontin (sp?) for a few months after my accident but the doctor wanted me off of it. I am 2 years post accident now nd take no pain meds, which I am glad for, I hate taking pills. Any help would be greratly appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!!
~Courtney
Henry

Re: acupuncture for pain control???

Post by Henry »

I tried accupuncture about 12 years ago to no avail. Also tried chiropractors, hypnotherapy, nerve blocks, cranial hands on therapy, and any number of herbal therapies, all also no help.

When the pain gets too bad, I try to sit still, have a couple of iced vodkas and wait it out. Two weeks ago I had a night of shooting pains so bad I was weeping with agony at about 4 am. 12 hours later it abated and has been managable ever since.

It will come back, I know, and I'll deal with it then.

Sorry I can't be more help, although just because it didn't work for me does not mean it won't work for you.
allison d

Post by allison d »

Hi Courtney;
I was receiving acupuncture and it might have helped with both the pain as well as muscle relaxation in the affected upper arm and neck/shoulder area. I haven't had acupuncture since March 28 and both the pain and muscle tightness have increased somewhat since Mid May. I actually went back on neurontin (stopped mid April) this past week to try and ease the burning pain. My Pt moved and set up practice at another town, that's why I discontinued with Pt.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

thanks for the help, both of you! i appreciate any advice. i think that i am going to talk with my doctor about trying it and see what happens. i really dont think that anything can hurt me.... if you know what i mean. thanks for the advice and good luck to you both!!
~Courtney
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

I'm in the midst of intensive accupunture, just the past the second week of five days per week, and the only thing I've noticed yet is my breathing is much better (which is great due to the fact that I damaged the frenic nerve that engages my right lungs diaphram to pull down and fill the lung). My acupunturist promises that my surgeries benifits will come much quicker and better than my Western Doctors had advised. No benifits noticed for pain, but I'm still pretty well doped up, it's only been a month and a half since major surgery, and six since the accident. I'm giving myself another month or two before I ween off the pain meds, which I'm not looking forward to. Good luck, and I'll post if I get any other noticable happenings.