Serial Casting for the Elbow Contracture

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jasg

Re: Serial Casting for the Elbow Contracture

Post by jasg »

I am interested in a picture of this splint as well. Thanks!
Sema

Post by Sema »

Hi -

I sent the photo to you and Missy today. Feel free to email me if either of you don't get it for some reason.

Sema
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

HELLO,
JUST WANTED TO ADD THAT MY SON HAD THE BICEPS TENDON LENGTHENING AS WELL.... IT DIDN'T WORK VERY LONG, WE ALSO USED AN AIR-BAG SPLINT I FOUND THAT TO BE A JOKE..... THEN WE USED A SPLINT ONLY AT NIGHT..... I SEEN IMPROVEMENT OVER A LONG PERIOD AND JUST LIKE A MAGIC WAND IT WAS BACK AGAIN....
OUR DOCTOR IS WANTING HIS PT TO START SERIAL CASTING AS WELL BUT I ASK MYSELF IF IT'S JUST GOING TO WORK FOR A SHORT TIME, WHY KEEP PUTTING HIM THRU ALL OF IT... I KNOW THE BODY GROWS BUT THERE HAS GOT TO BE SOMETHING ELSE WE COULD DO.... I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO START IT RIGHT AWAY... MY SON IS NOW HAVING ALOT OF EMONTIONAL PROBLEMS DUE TO ALL OF THE SURGERIES,DOCTORS, PT, OT...... HE THINKS NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY WITH HIM BECAUSE OF HIS ARM.. THE THINGS THAT HE HAS BEEN SAYING IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE JUST BROKE MY HEART...
SO IM NOT SURE YET IF I WILL DO THE SERIAL CASTING, HE'S ONLY 6 AND GOT ALOT OF GROWING TO DO AND I WANT HIM TO BE HAPPY.... I'LL BE THE FIRST TO TELL YOU HE WANT IF HE HAS TO WEAR A CAST...
THANKS FOR EVEYONE'S POST ON THIS IT WILL HELP ME DECIDE ON WHAT I WILL DO.....
Mare

Post by Mare »

Frankie just did serial casting for two weeks he got 35 degrees straighter but we had to stop because he started loosing degrees in his shoulder movement and he just had the mod quad so that is more important. Frankie said it was not painful or even uncomfortable just a pain because it really limits his use and showering is a pain. His OT just made him a slint to sleep in every other night the other nights he is back in the mod quad splint to get him stretched again. Mare
shlecki

Post by shlecki »

My son is having problems with his elbow. I moved from Louisiana to South Carolina and have not been able to find and therapist that is willing to help me. His elbow keeps getting worse and I finally found a doctor in Georgia. I am wondering about the Serial Casting.Is this something the wear at night or over a period of time??
chrystalhurst

Post by chrystalhurst »

Can you please email me a picture of the splint? Thx

auntchryssy@sbcglobal.net
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Chrystal - I have a picture of a post serial cast splint on Maia's website... http://www.injurednewborn.com/maia8
go to the lifeplan page...
this is a belly buster splint - it is a static splint with a pop-out area so you can push the elbow the last 10 degrees for full extention.
Sstith-PT
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am a PT who id currently treating this patient population.

Post by Sstith-PT »

Seems,

I know this post is from years ago but wondering if you still had those pictures? I am a PT trying to help out a fellow colleague with serial casting a patients elbow and looking for some additional help/insight. I usually cast the lower extremities but there’s no one in a 100 mile radius who’s willing to do an elbow so I’m willing to try.

Thanks,
Samantha