Job perspectives etc

Adaptations, Hobbies, Athletics, Sports, Music, Arts, etc
AlexGC096
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Sustained my brachial plexus injury from a severe motorcycle accident on the 11th of October 2015. I have had two nerve grafts so far.

Job perspectives etc

Post by AlexGC096 »

Hey everyone,

So a brief summary about my situation.....I suffered a BPI injury when I was 18 in a motorcycle accident and I'm now 21 I have been wanting to get back to work since I woke up from my coma but have been told "no you aren't allowed" etc etc. More recently though I have been wondering what I can actually do. You see my previous job was I was a mechanic, I can still physically do the work (I have a friend with a workshop at their house so I have tried) but I fear there is a legal side I'm unaware of? I'd love to get back to work not so much for the money but I do get really judging looks from people when they ask what I do for work and I tell them a variation of "I'm currently not allowed to work as I have surgeries happening soon". Just wondering what jobs some of you guys still do? I'm eagerly awaiting any and all replies!!

Thank you
Alex
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Job perspectives etc

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Alex,
Not allowed??
I you are waiting on more surgery, Try to find ones that enable you to be a Mechanic.
If its just a judgment call Vs a pending surgery.
Than dont let any doctor tell you not to TRY!! Drive me crazy
I drove a 18 wheeler as a local Chicago semi driver for 25 years, with birth erbs.
If you cant become a Mechanic, than maybe being a service writer might work??
You are on a quest to find a job you can adapt to,
Your in good company here, Check on one arm snowmobile on post .
I am in Aw!!! How far people try and adapt there way.
Hope this helps,???
Tom
AlexGC096
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Sustained my brachial plexus injury from a severe motorcycle accident on the 11th of October 2015. I have had two nerve grafts so far.

Post by AlexGC096 »

Thanks Tom! I'll definitely take your advice on board man, I just really want to get back into work so I wasn't sure what work others suffering with BPI or birth erbs were doing.
Master DIVER TOM

Thanks for writing back!
Ever word I said is back up with others , who live our life and post here.
Trying to find a way to work at 15 with birth erbs, how to adapt in a 2 arm world . When you are injuried latter in life its still about overcoming your limiation to work. You never fail by trying , thinking out of the box to adapt your way.
We all are doing great, Lack of direction is Fear. It all works out by so many posting here To :shock: ;)
Tom
AlexGC096

Post by AlexGC096 »

Yeah too right Tom! But it's like you said we have to find a way to adapt and overcome, that's what we do best as humans. I'm just really trying to think of what it is I want to do now, I would love to go back to mechanics but I'm unsure if there would be a legal/insurance issue haha not sure, I'll have to chat with my old employer perhaps.

Cheers
Alex
Master DIVER TOM

I get what you are saying about insurance issues.

If you think about it , A employer do hire us with limitation by post. Sure a employer may not hire, because of insurance issues (you never know). One thing is true it is better to try than give up.
Because of my birth erbs ,Some doctors said I will not pass you on THE Department of transportation physical. This Suck.
Some Doctor pass me because of my safe driving record for 25 years ( act of God) Im sure.
We never give up, we try and try and try. When things dont work out remember you have come far!!! It take a life time and keeping a smile is best of all>
Tom
AlexGC096

Post by AlexGC096 »

Cheers Tom, your words carry weight my man.
Mad respect to you for pushing on!
Master DIVER TOM

Alex, Thanks.
Trying comes when your trying to find your way to adapt and a starting point . Its by keep to try in spite of Outcome. Your on your Way!!! Focus on the Mechanic job you can do know. When you talk to your friends. Mechanic / service writer ??
Think out of the box to adapt overtime.
Keep in touch on this post sight, See you you are doing GReat!!!!
Keep on keeping on,
Tom