Waiting tables

Adaptations, Hobbies, Athletics, Sports, Music, Arts, etc
skcrawford
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, 4 surgeries

Waiting tables

Post by skcrawford »

My 19 year old son is working at a nice college restaurant and had been waiting tables but is now hosting only. The mother of the restaurant owner told me it was because of his "disability" and elaborated on why he couldn't do the job. My son is over 18 and he needs to advocate for himself but I want to provide him some info to help. Does anyone know of modifications he could use to handle carrying drinks or trays. The issue is with supination in his left arm. I'm a special ed teacher and am always trying to come up with ideas to make my students successful. It seems like there should be something that could be used to help him. Thanks in advance.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Waiting tables

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi ,
It amazing the jobs we try to do with these limitation.
Waiting a table, That a tough one.
I tried different jobs, to see what I could adapt to do with birth erbs .
Hosting should not be seen as a put down, but really a help.
I tried to be a dish wash at 14, there was a tray that was over my head with glasses.
I thought I could lower it one handed , but it fell braking all the glasses.
The owner gave me a chance, but I was let go.
There is try that work in adapting and then there is trying did not work out.
I was amazed I learned to drive a semi with erbs.
Finding a way to adapt to work in a 2 hand world is tough, but he will find his way to! My mom try to help to, Hugs Mom you try.
Tom
skcrawford
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, 4 surgeries

Post by skcrawford »

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy that he has found a place to work where the owners are great and like him. And he likes to be there. He told me that he can't write orders because 1) his handwriting is so bad 2) he can't hold the order pad in a way that is easy to write. I guess he will continue as is and hope he continues to enjoy the job as he goes to school. Thanks again.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Your welcome,
Many here have found amazing ways to adapt to work, and your son will to (Guaranteed).
He is going to school and finding away to work. Very Positive!
Trail and airier happen to work,Happens. He will find a creative way to adapt using the arm with limitation to help the good arm. Example is I have limited reach so I pick my erbs arm to ware I need to reach and hold by grasp.
Holding a paper to write on , I pick up my arm and use the weight of my erbs arm to hold down the paper to write. Clip boards work to , use them alot with paper work in driving a semi.
Even at 18 , your son has found away to work and has adapted to dressing ,eating ,ETC.
You and your son are doing Great!!!
Best Try-is,
Tom
daphne
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI, 1953, serious, physical theapy, brace

Post by daphne »

Your son could use a tray to wait tables. He should be able to hold the tray with his hand and stabilize/lean/anchor it on his hip or abdomen to hold the weight. Then he could stack the items on the tray. Then he could transfer the weight from the hip to the functional arm to walk the tray to the kitchen. This could be done vice versa to bring out the items to place on the table to serve. When you think about it this DIY adaptation can also serve as a stretching exercise for the arm, as the Affected arm must stretch to grab the tray and hold it and as the items weigh down on the tray, extra stretch. That is how I did it at a pizza place, until one of the waitresses talked the owner into letting me go.... it worked for as long as I was there.
Respectfully, daphne