electrical stimulation

Welcome Newbies! Introduce yourselves!
jhughen
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: my son has had a right OBPI since 7-28-03

electrical stimulation

Post by jhughen »

My son is 13 years old and has a ROBPI. We have been in and out of formal therapy in the last 5 years -- just recently started back with it. He's wanting to play cello in the school orchestra. The therapist we are currently seeing is doing e stim on his anterior deltoid. I'm not sure it this is healthy for the muscle or can have an ill affect? Never had e stim before... Any experience shared or knowledge is appreciated.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: electrical stimulation

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

To Mom,
I was waiting for others , who could respond to the issue of nerve stimulator responded to the post ??
I have live my life with birth Erbs,The best gift to a child to overcome there limitation , is the cild Trying . The Best theory comes in trying there to try. My Mom gave up when I try to climb a Tree . Never give up!! I like many Do , Have life without hope, Inspiring a Child to try. Is the Best I think, Everything that straights the limitation is a Plus, With or without surgeries. When your chid ask to inspirer them to try , It really a Good thing.
I hate 0 response. The Best Theory is in Trying!!!

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I thought I would add more about having the unknown surguries?
When you live a life with birth erbs and without surguries over a lifetime , so many post, like me. You learn that the best theopy is in doing things you can adapt to inspite of the limiation you end up with.
Your son plays the Cello, Awsome! So far as he and all are doing and posting is adapting there way.
The best theopy is in trying to adapt in play, sport , etc. , There is so many ways others post in just doing thing than just going to theropy.
When you try to adapt at the same time you streagthen the limiation you have and it moves a person forward to adapt to more things to try.
The best thing I ever learn to do is just squezzing a rubber to increase grasp if you can just get a good grasp it means a lot.
looking back if I would had Surguries , I would pick ones to help me overcome things , I could never adapt to.
It not all glom I drove a Semi for 25 years with birth erbs with limited use. Good thing I got a good grasp from just sqezzing a ball.
Just thinking, You and are doing Great!!!
Tansity in trying we all Have in trying.
Tom
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Hi,

The usual response is it doesn't do much for us, if the signal to the muscle isn't working, not much the E-Stim is going to do.

Great he wants to play and just encourage him to go for it and he will figure it out. I'm 30 yrs in from my injury and not much I haven't done that I wanted to do.

Dan