Hello from a British tbpi chap!

Are you living with an injury that you received later in life and would like to share your experience? Post here!
dom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 5th July 2016. Left arm paralysed by complete break from spine. motorcycle accident, aged 47, live in UK.

Hello from a British tbpi chap!

Post by dom »

Hi to everyone!

My name is Dom I'm 47, married with 5 kids. Just 5 months ago I was riding my motorbike when some young lad turned his car directly in front of me. I hit his car at around 30 mph. I trashed his car with my body and he carried on driving to work, leaving me in a coma in a ditch. Thankfully I was found and saved.

Its my left arm, full avulsions, second operation complete for nerve/fibre transplant, aimed at increased elbow movement in 2 years or so.

My life now is hard, my wife & children are so fed up with me in pain and moody. I can't work as I used to, I was a Barrister at Law.

Its all slowly becoming more manageable. The pain is intense, the drugs are strong, the lack of an arm is ok. But life is ok really, its just a case of getting on with it.

I read this site with interest, its nice not to feel quite as lonely.

I've read so much about tbpi, that any questions I once had are all answered hundreds of times already.

So I just wanted to say hello and join in with this great group online.

I love to chat, so if anyone wants to, I'm on here and would welcome new friendships.

Thank you to you all,

Dom.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Hello from a British tbpi chap!

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Dom
Your doing great ;)
You really have come far, Sorry we all have pain issues and the quest to overcome it takes a life time to try to do so.
The best thing you can do is try to find things you can do even with your limitation as you have done ;)
Distraction and being focus on other things sport, work , hobby and many other things, as you and all do overtime inspire of limitation. Sure, when the focus stops and you end up in more pain. But one thing is true, you are less depress and lower your anxiety by the Tenacity to try ;)
Try to things with the family to, There is thing you can do with them still, Right.
I am glad you found us here as far as Chatting, go to the face book .
Best trys ;)
Tom
dom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 5th July 2016. Left arm paralysed by complete break from spine. motorcycle accident, aged 47, live in UK.

Post by dom »

Thanks Tom,
Great experienced advice, thank you.
It seems to be a mind over matter thing, Off to get busy with great things is the key it seems!
Thanks again, your words are very valuable tio me.
Dom.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Dom,
Thank you for your words to.
No matter when these injury happen at birth or latter in life injury to.
Trying to learn and teach yourself to deal with these injuries without direction is so hard to do overtime. But being creative in trying to do things one handed happens to. Trying to straighten and using your limitation the best you can , there comes a can do attitude by trying its called tenacity to do so.
When things dont work out trying , try something else and move on . Remember You have come far in trying your way.
Pain Sucks, but depression and anxiety is worse. Mine over matter , You are right and it a on going experience we all have learned overtime , by so many posting here. I am always amazed by others posting here who fined ways to adapt in what they teach them self overtime.
When I said your doing Great, You as all here are because we are.
Tom