Need some advice/Information

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
creativewr1t3r
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Caleb has a left total involvement OBPI. He was born 16 years ago.

Need some advice/Information

Post by creativewr1t3r »

My son is 16 years old with a totally involved Left Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Injury. We have run into a issue that has me worried. He has a sore on his involved elbow that is not healing. This is on the part of his arm that he has no feeling in it. I have heard that blood flow to his left arm is not as good, and have followed protocol his whole life regarding not allowing IVs, blood pressures, temps, etc., to be done on that side. I'm wondering if this sore is not healing because of the same issue and what you as parents would do in this situation? It is about 2 inches across and involves several layers of the skin, although not enough to make the pediatrician feel it needs stitches. It is not infected, however his peds doc has proactively put him on an oral antibiotic. It just keeps loosing it's scab, without my son picking it because he can't really reach it or see it from it's position. Any help would be thankfully accepted.