Recently Diagnosed Questions

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Dumbledorus
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: June 2011, a week before my 21st bday, my hiking buddy and I did a 30mi hike with 60lb backpacks. My waist strap was broken on my backpack and virtually useless. The next day I experienced extreme chest tightness and ended up in ER. Over a few weeks the tightness escalated to pain and eventually extreme debilitating muscles spasm/contracture in my right pectoral and to a lesser extant on the left. I have not been able to do any mildly strenuous activity with my right arm since due to flaring the symptoms.

For years my condition baffled dozens upon dozens of Dr.'s, but last week I was diagnosed with a Brachial Plexus Injury in my right shoulder and mild injury in the left. I am awaiting EMG results to confirm diagnosis.

Recently Diagnosed Questions

Post by Dumbledorus »

Hello everyone.

I developed a chest/shoulder injury in 2011 after backpacking 30miles with a 60lb backpack. For years Dr.'s didn't know what was causing this issue but at my new clinic they have diagnosed me with a Brachial Plexus injury.

The main symptoms that lead to this diagnosis are: extremely limited use of my right arm, weakness/cramping in r. hand, extreme muscle spasms/contracture/atrophy in my right pectoral and muscle wasting in various other parts of my shoulder/arm with all other causes ruled out. I am waiting on the results of an EMG test to confirm diagnosis but it seems very likely at this point.

That said, I have some questions for those of you out there about BPI's...

I also experience extreme chest pain/tightness and spasming in my ribcage, do any of you have these symptoms from your injury?

Do you experience cramping in your hand after mild to moderate use?

Is it possible, and if yes, how likely is it to receive disability for this condition in the US?

Do you use muscle relaxers for this condition? If so which ones?

Do you experience muscle spasming/cramping in back of shoulder and neck? If yes, what do you do to ease the symptoms?

How well does surgery work to correct the condition? - I have tried Physical Therapy, Massage therapy, Cortisone Injections, Nerve Meds, Extended Rest and I'm titrating up on TCA's right now but all with no improvement - PT and Massage actually worsened condition quite a bit. I've been on opioids for years and recently been trying muscle relaxers, however I developed stomach problems from the opioids so I am nearly off them and my Dr. will only prescribe muscle relaxers short term atm. It seems I've tried all the conservative treatment options so surgery would be the next step but only if it has a good prognosis.

Thank you for your help!
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Recently Diagnosed Questions

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Its tough being us :shock:
You Sure have tried ;)
First I am so happy you might have found a Possible operation,
Maybe, I get it .
See what is the offered ,other than the same O same O, of what you have gone threw???
If you do get a operation offer , ask the Doctor about the outcome that happen by doing that operation. Very important so many post this about doctors and possible outcomes.
What you post as issues I have live with birth erbs, my elbow and scapula were broken by forceps at birth to.
Because you back pack like you did , I bet you might of stretch your nerves overtime, by pulling and jerking by the straps on 60 pound weight :roll: Repetitive movement injury, Maybe??? Stretch nerves??
I never got any help from a doctor for my erbs, but today you might have found help,?? :shock: ;) I hope, By others posting here who have had these injury also end up with a lot of pain from scare tissue and blood flow issues to, I have these issues to.
You might consider asking the doctor about these issues to??
Pain relief is a quest by so many postting to, Sorry

Just thinking, I hope this help??
Tom
I
Dakotabloo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Tbpi 6/15/2013 Right arm. Motorcycle accident. Bpi with avulsions. Complete motor & sensory deficits, paralyzed Rt. diaphragm as well as constant unrelenting pain. Surgeries: nerve transfer (6 nerves), wrist fusion. Deltoid/ upper trapezius tendon transfer, more to come. I am able to use distraction during the day since I try not to rely on narcotics while working. I am desperate for help. Can anyone tell me how to cope with this pain, will it ever ease up?

Re: Recently Diagnosed Questions

Post by Dakotabloo »

Hi Dumbledorus,
The spasm & pain are going to be your biggest obstacles & longest quest to resolve. My docs are pushing the Baclofen, Gabapentin. The Lyrica had too many side effects for me. Disability is an option you are entitled to. When you fill out the paperwork, stress the pain issue b/c chronic pain is an acceptable diagnosis. I have been on the opioids for the past 3 yrs. I have weaned myself off several times b/c docs do not want to prescribe them for chronic pain. Unfortunately, it has been the only thing that takes the edge off of the pain. It's extremely frustrating & depressing. I have tried everything, even mult. surgeries & none have relieved the pain or spasm. Keep experimenting with different dosages, & alt. therapies. Good luck.