Wilmer carrying orthosis

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Wilmer carrying orthosis

Post by admin »

Does anybody know where someone can purchase this? The places I have called say you need a prescription, the manufacturer, Becker, does not sell to individuals, just orthopedic offices and hospitals?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Wilmer carrying orthosis

Post by admin »

I am trying to get one for my mother, who has a tbpi with shoulder sublaxation. Spoke to Becker a few days ago and they refered me to some "orthotists" in my areacode. I spoke with those places and they said that with a prescription from a doctor, they could order & fit it. They didn't know the product, but because they order from Becker, they could order it. No one keeps it in stock, you would have to order.
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Hi...as far as I know, you will have to order one via a Dr as each one has to be adjusted precisely to fit each individual. I'm not sure what the position is over here in the UK regarding the Wilmer orthosis, but I do know that at one time, you could just 'phone the distributor and one of the 'fitters' would come out to your house and adjust one there and then for you.

I'll try and find out more.

Lizzy f
jacko

Post by jacko »

The Wilmer carrying orthosis is a Dutch invention. It used to be available to individuals in the UK through Amboise UK, but I'm not sure if that company still exists.

Try dealing direct with the manufacturers in the Netherlands
http://www.ocp.tudelft.nl/mms/wilmer/welcome.html
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Is anyone using this today??

Court
stevel
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI to left (dominant) arm. Hang Gliding accident on July 6, 2014. No surgery yet. I can grip and twist forearm. No upper arm function yet...

Post by stevel »

I was fitted for one of these during my visit to Mayo clinic. The fitting was done by Brandon Sampson at the Limb Lab LLC. This thing requires a lot of cutting, gluing, and fitting out of the box. It is not something that you can just buy and it fits. Brandon told me to try it and if it didn't work out, send it back. I wore it about three times and sent it back with the following notes:

1. This carrying orthosis does an outstanding job keeping my hemiplegic arm subluxation reduced while standing. The problem is this is about the only situation where the carrying orthosis is useful.

2. It is not possible to use the orthosis under your long sleeve shirt without creating a hole for the elbow strap to pass through the armpit area for supporting the forearm brace.

3. The Wilmer claims no restriction to arm mobility, and that is a problem. You find your forearm swinging about while walking or leaning over etc. While conventional slings do a poor job reducing subluxation, at least they bind the lower arm to your body thus getting it out of the way.

4. The palm down position of the Wilmer causes problems for overcoats etc.

5. The orthosis basically doesn’t work in a seated position since your arm ends up hitting your lap unless you swing it out to the side.

6. The palm down position and outer framework don’t really work with seat belts in a car.

Brandon,
While I am worried about the subluxation of my arm, it doesn’t really cause me any more pain than if the shoulder is put into place. I seem to have the same level of nerve pain whether my arm is resting on a pillow or hanging around my neck. For this reason, the benefit of the Wilmer does not outweigh its shortcomings for me. I understand there are people who suffer extreme pain due to the subluxation, so for them, the Wilmer might be a welcome device.

I have ordered Dan's athletic arm sling...

Steve
Dakotabloo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Tbpi 6/15/2013 Right arm. Motorcycle accident. Bpi with avulsions. Complete motor & sensory deficits, paralyzed Rt. diaphragm as well as constant unrelenting pain. Surgeries: nerve transfer (6 nerves), wrist fusion. Deltoid/ upper trapezius tendon transfer, more to come. I am able to use distraction during the day since I try not to rely on narcotics while working. I am desperate for help. Can anyone tell me how to cope with this pain, will it ever ease up?

Post by Dakotabloo »

Hi Steve,
I haven't tried the Wilmer orthosis but it sounds like the Givemoore sling. Not sure of the correct spelling. The sling left my arm hanging & I have a problem w/ swelling & my fingers turning blue when I leave my arm hanging. Please let me know how you make out with Dan's sling. It looks like it would be hot. The top of my hand gets really hot & sweats at times so I'm trying to find a sling that leaves my hand open. It sounds like it could be a good device, so I'll look for your feedback.
Thanks,
Deb