beginning to an end

Are you living with an injury that you received later in life and would like to share your experience? Post here!
youshockr2
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My brachial plexus injury was caused by severe trauma. It occurred on January 11th 2011 I was 20 years. I was skiing and stop to the side of the slope close to the trees when a person screwing around on a snowboard hit me from behind. The neurosurgeon figures I was hit at a minimum of 55 Mph. I lost the use of my left hand permanently and the use of my left arm. Since then I've had two nerve transplants, an eye surgery, and a new bicep built from a muscle in my right leg.

beginning to an end

Post by youshockr2 »

This is my first post to the United Brachial Plexus Network so bear with me a little bit. A little background I was hurt in a skiing accident on January 11th 2011. I was hit from behind by a snow boarder who was screwing around. They tell me that people who saw the accident had to dig me out of the snow so I would not suffocate. The next thing I could remember was waking up in the hospital four days later. I had no idea what happened or why I couldn’t move my arm. The neurosurgeons in my area are the worst. I learned that I had a traumatic brachial plexus injury. Knowing that explained why my left arm and hand were paralyzed. I was immediately taken out of Scranton to Philadelphia where I would retrieve multiple treatments from the best that University of Pennsylvania could offer. The final hope I had was a muscle transplant that would maybe give some kind of elbow function.
After two more years of painstaking therapy I returned to the University of Pennsylvania to see what the surgeon had to offer. Dr. Levin was the head of orthopedics at Penn, he had just completed the first bi-lateral hand transplant. The skilled surgeon sat in front of me humbled. There was no hope of motion return to either the hand or arm. The hand I knew because the nerve root was pulled from the spine, but I always sometimes secretly held out hope that one day I’d be able to hug my mom with both arms again.
I had a life-changing decision to make at age 24. I chose to undergo surgery to have my arm amputated. I am now just over two months out of surgery and feeling better than I have since before the initial accident. People question the about the phantom limb pain. I tell them it feels no different than when I had the limb hanging from my body. Now I have more freedom and mobility. There is now many thing I can do and many I cannot. I’m not saying my choice is for everyone, but I am doing everything I can to help others going through similar situations.
I by no means gave up on the situation. I did what I could with the cards dealt to me. Just because the arm is gone I still frequent physical therapy and soon occupational therapy in hopes to learn to operate a prosthetic arm. My life after the injury is just beginning and I will not take life for grant it now knowing how fragile life really is.

I’m open to questions and sharing anything to anyone who wants to talk.
Thanks for reading,
Ryan Y.
anebraski
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was in a motorcycle accident on july 12,2013. my right humerus was broken and repaired with surgery. the broken humerus stretched and damaged the surrounding nerves. soon after the accident and before the humerus was repaired I noticed that there was no feeling in my right hand and no movement with the fingers. I also had no control of my wrist. I was diagnosed with a brachialplexis injury. dr. susan mackinnon at barnes-jewish in st. Louis performed my surgery on nov. 5, 2013. name of operation: nerve transfer of brachialis nerve toronator and flexor carpi radialis nerve. nerve transfer of lateral antebrachial cutaneous nerve to sensory ulnar nerve. nerve transfer of thoracodorsal nerve to the long lateral and medial trips nerves. nerve transfer of brachialis nerve to the anterior interosseous nerve. now I wait for a year for movement.

Re: beginning to an end

Post by anebraski »

I suggest that you look up Tim Farmer. He lives in Frankfort, KY. If you google him you will find his story. He was the former host of Kentucky Afield. His right arm and hand were paralyzed after a motorcycle accident. He hunts, fishes, and anything else he wants to do one handed.
Dakotabloo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Tbpi 6/15/2013 Right arm. Motorcycle accident. Bpi with avulsions. Complete motor & sensory deficits, paralyzed Rt. diaphragm as well as constant unrelenting pain. Surgeries: nerve transfer (6 nerves), wrist fusion. Deltoid/ upper trapezius tendon transfer, more to come. I am able to use distraction during the day since I try not to rely on narcotics while working. I am desperate for help. Can anyone tell me how to cope with this pain, will it ever ease up?

Re: beginning to an end

Post by Dakotabloo »

Hi Ryan,
Did you choose amputation due to pain or issues w/ function? My bpi involves mult. avulsions & I have an ongoing problem w/ the pain even after 3 yrs. attempted spinal cord stimulator, DREZ Lesioning, meds, etc. I thought about amputation but the doctors are telling me it may not relieve the pain & prosthetics are difficult to fit when the amp is that high- at the shoulder. I would love to hear how you came to the decision to amputate. Thanks for your post.