TENDON TRANSFER?

Questions, stories, victories and antidotes to everyday challenges of traumatic injuries.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

TENDON TRANSFER?

Post by ArmStrong »

Hello BPI family! It's been awhile since I've checked in...hope everyone is doing and dealing well!....So my injury was in 2010,partial paralysis of left arm/hand...recently had a visit with the BPI team at Kaiser and after doing their evaluation of what function I still have and what I may be able to benefit from,they decided that a Tendon Transfer could give me more hand/finger/wrist movement.Has anyone had this procedure..if so what was the outcome???!! was it worth going through the surgery??..As we all have,I have learned to adapt and overcome,it has been challeging to say the least but not impossible. I would appreciate any feed back from anyone who's had a tendon transfer.
Thanks folks!
Master DIVER TOM

Re: TENDON TRANSFER?

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Arm Strong, :shock: :D
I will answer about getting a better grasp, Never had surgery :roll:
If you can gain more grasp by surgery or by other means of therapy it is Huge to do ;) :D
If I cant not reach something , I grab, my erbs arm with my good arm and put it ware I need to reach and then hold on to it and grasp it with my erbs hand,
This help me with loading and un loading truck at UPS, it help me in driving a motorcycle to,
Grasp mean a lot when you are trying to adapt ;) :shock: :D So is learning to help the limited arm with the good one in reaching, even over head because you can hold on because of grasp ;)
Just thinking :shock: :roll:

Tom
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Re: TENDON TRANSFER?

Post by hilltopfwb »

I had a nerve transfer 6 months after my accident. I had a muscle transfer a year later. It was quite something to go through - especially the 2 months I had my arm in a contraption lifting it parallel to my head. Yet, all and all, when it was over, I received more use of my left arm. I would not want to live the rest of my life regretting not doing what needed to be done for me to have the best use of my limb.