WA State/Greater NW BPI Support Group

You are welcome to post information here about planned BPI picnics, gatherings and symposia.
PeggyF

WA State/Greater NW BPI Support Group

Post by PeggyF »

I'm working on the exact date and location, but we will be having a potluck gathering-- with live music (either the Backwoods WIndjammers or Swing Fever; both are very good!)-- on the first Sunday (Oct. 19th) or soemtime during the last weekend of Awareness Week.

All are welcome! I'll post more details soon.

Peggy

Also, we will be at Hunter Farms in Union on October 18th (Joel and Emma are playing with the Backwoods Windjammers for their Pumpkin Patch Event) if anyone wants to join us.
http://www.hunter-farms.com/
PeggyF

Re: WA State/Greater NW BPI Support Group

Post by PeggyF »

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Metro Park people in Tacoma.

If anyone else has another suggestion for a place to meet, I'm open to suggestions!

Feel free to email me or post here.

Thanks!

Peggy
SarahZ

Post by SarahZ »

Hi, I moved to Bellevue two years ago and haven't been very active in the BPI community. My son is 6 and has a ROBPI. Checking to see what support groups might be in the area. Saw your heading of WA state and thought you could point me in a direction.
Thanks so much,
Sarah
emily.marie
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter was born on 12JULY2003 and substained a Brachial Plexus Injury. C5 was completely torn out of spinal cord. And other nerves were damaged. We are military as well.

Post by emily.marie »

We live in Spanaway, Wa and never have been to a support group or anything for BPI. My daughter has LOBPI. And she was meant to be a lefty. So, I am sure many understand part of of what we have been through. She is now currently 6 years old going to be 7 soon enough. We are in the years of kids making fun. I did contact a Julia on here not too long ago over a school IEP in the begining of the year. I got it added finally on Dec 17th... Just for them to take away her entire IEP and say she graduated on just this last Tuesday. So, now on to the fight for a 504! We are also military. Been stationed Fort Lewis for a decade now and just got assigned here again. My husband was just on his 2nd deployment to Iraq...and is now home getting to do similiar things like wear braces and do stretches with his daughter now... Yep he was injured on 25JAN2010. (He does not have BPI for a DX... they say since the nerves were effected lower done the arm. He took schrapnel in his right arm all the way up to his face.)

My daughter has had braces and splints and so forth as needed. We are still waiting for her to get a little bigger before doing surgery. Right now her Left is 1 1/2 inches shorter than the right. She can raise it up, but when she does her scapula pops out and her shoulder wants to dislocate. She does have areas where she has no feeling. But considering that they told me that she would never do any of this she is doing wonderful! She is C5 evulsed. and damage to all remaining here and there. She was a scheduled C-section in breech presentation and needless to say after stupidity had kicked in things just got worse and worse. Here BPI is from them grabbing and grabbing her arm and finally ripping her out of me by her arm. She also suffers from paralyzed bowels. As that her bowels started dying because she was so long without oxygen. When she was first born her arm was in "Waiter's Tip".
stcrx

Post by stcrx »

I wonder if we could do something like this again? I live in WA and I'll go wherever! :)
~'Cuz life's like a jump rope~
Please view http://www.rarereflections.weebly.com to see my photography. Photography and writing are kind of my life.
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

I am a little late to the party, but I recently moved to WA and am interested meetups if they occur in the future and will be subscribing to this thread.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Where are you in WA Jennifer??? I am in Tacoma & I need some contact can we meet for coffee?? Others are welcome too.
HUggs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

I live in Vancouver right now. Suburb of Portland, OR.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I go to portland frequently''....scott and i like no tax shopping! maybe we can meet 1/2 way in centralia at starbucks sometime when i get my new teeth...soon
carolyn j
lobpi' / 75