Looking for advice (graphic injury photos)*

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
akmetal
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Dec 2. 2013, I was snowboarding and took a tumble. During the tumble I had a piece of wood go through my left shoulder, damaging my C5 and C6 nerves. Looking for options.

Looking for advice (graphic injury photos)*

Post by akmetal »

Let me preface with my injury. I'm a 24 year old male.
NSFW GORE

Dec 3rd 2013 I was snowboarding, took a tumble, and sat up with my entire left arm on fire and numb. Many of you might know that feeling.

Just got done with my 3rd EMG nerve study, and the supraspinatus and axillary nerves are still producing 0 motor unit functions. Everything else is still working fine, fortunately. However, infraspinatus, supraspinatus, and deltoid function is non existant, so now it's time to look for surgery.

Should I be looking for a nerve transfer? Nerve transplant? What hospital? I'm looking at Mayo clinic right now. Fortunately I'm still covered under my mom's insurance because I'm a full time student.

Before I got hurt, I was in elite condition and benching 300 pounds, and overhead pressing over 160. I'm terrified I'll never return to function, let alone the strength that I had. Like everyone else, I want to be as normal as I can. I appreciate the input and help. It's a constant war of staying positive and wanting to fight and battle and struggle.
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Re: Looking for advice (graphic injury photos)*

Post by alheim »

Dude!

1. In a way, you are lucky to have such a "clear cut" injury. Hopefully no avulsions, and hopefully only C5/C6 is affected. You may be a good candidate for a nerve graft (basically, a repair, instead of transferring/repurposing other nerves).

2. Stop wasting time, seriously. Call Mayo today. They will not do nerve grafts/transfers after 6 months, and you're almost 4 months out.

3. You may get good or even very good function back, but 100% is unlikely, I'd think. You're lucky that it wasn't much worse, and C7/C8/T1 are seemingly unaffected. Stay strong, man. Keep us updated.

4. Call me (or email), I've had a recent injury too and have learned a ton. I will PM you my number/email. I've been to UPenn, Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, & Mayo. (Go to Mayo if you can.) Where do you live? You might have other local options too.

Alex
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Agree 100% with everything Alex, he said what you need to know, especially on point #2.
akmetal
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Dec 2. 2013, I was snowboarding and took a tumble. During the tumble I had a piece of wood go through my left shoulder, damaging my C5 and C6 nerves. Looking for options.

Post by akmetal »

On it now! Already getting records from the variety of hospitals and doctors to send to Mayo- every hospital has the request for release of information and already triaged with Mayo. Found out my insurance (FORTUNATELY) covers Mayo as well.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Awesome! Do it.
In my book they are the best. Great that you're insurance covers them. They are outstanding.
akmetal wrote:On it now! Already getting records from the variety of hospitals and doctors to send to Mayo- every hospital has the request for release of information and already triaged with Mayo. Found out my insurance (FORTUNATELY) covers Mayo as well.
akmetal

Post by akmetal »

Just thought I'd post an update. Mayo accepted me and I have my nerve study with them on May 13th, I meet their BPI team on the 14th, and tentatively surgery on the 15th. So extremely excited and grateful.