Life is what you make it!

Questions, stories, victories and antidotes to everyday challenges of traumatic injuries.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Life is what you make it!

Post by Kath »

As an adult obpi there is only life after injury. I truly believe life is what you make of it.
You can have a piety party or stand up and say "I am more than my arm." As children we don't know how to cope with some of the teasing and taunting. As adults we know where the scars are but we also know that those who abused us were really the inferior ones.

We can do almost anything we put our minds to and lead normal, healthy lives. We must mourn our losses and then move forward to live our lives to the fullest.

We have to make choices and we should choose to live our lives to the best of our ability. We should always attempt to do things even if they seem impossible with our limitations. Better to try and fail... then never try and live with regrets.

I am a wife, a mother and a grandmother. I worked full time jobs all my life and was always active in my children's schools, our church and our community. I speak freely about my arm and am comfortable not only explaining how it happened but how to prevent it.

This injury never controlled my life or defined me. I am a person with an injury not and injury with a person attached.
Last edited by Jennifer P on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to the new location of Life After Injury
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Life is what you make it!

Post by Carolyn J »

I say "Ditto" to all of what Kath shared above except for being a grandmother...I'm not. Kath always says it better than I can because she came out of her momma talking... ;)
Love you Kath *Heart*.

Life is what you make it! *Heart*

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+++
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

"No complaints or moaning"?! wheres the fun in that!? I had become so good at it! :lol: Just wanted to say THANKS to EVERYONE who has ever shared their story and experience on here.It's been 3 years since my tbpi and had it not been for this forum and the courageous people on here,I would probably be crazier than I naturally am. :shock: Even though I have yet to meet another person with this injury ,I know I'm not alone."Life after" has been....well.... difficult but not impossible,challenging,eye opening,motivating,uncertain......Life goes on and I must go on as well!.. I didn't know how to live like this after 38 years with no real injuries,I didn't want to live like this,didn't think I could.Once I decided to start living again and not just exist,life has been getting better,I have been getting better.I have learned to love myself all over again,I have someone in my life who excepts and loves me just the way I am (I can't believe it!) and everyday is not a bad one.It's easy to get depressed and give up but there's soo much life to live and people to meet and places to see.I'm stronger than I thought and the only limitations are the ones we set for ourselves.Life after?...well I'm not done with it yet but I have a feeling that it will continue to be full of suprises!!! :o
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

I am soooo happy you've "GOT IT", ArmSttrong. :D
Keep on Keepin' On!

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74++... 8-)
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You Guys make me smile,
Courage al-ways comes with pain ,But we have the guts to move on ;) :D
Mr Positive, now you know why these post ;) :shock: :D
Just,
Tom
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

AWESOME ArmStrong!!! Great to hear that the mountain isn't crushing you, and your climbing it STRONG!!! Right on!!!!
ArmStrong wrote:"No complaints or moaning"?! wheres the fun in that!? I had become so good at it! :lol: Just wanted to say THANKS to EVERYONE who has ever shared their story and experience on here.It's been 3 years since my tbpi and had it not been for this forum and the courageous people on here,I would probably be crazier than I naturally am. :shock: Even though I have yet to meet another person with this injury ,I know I'm not alone."Life after" has been....well.... difficult but not impossible,challenging,eye opening,motivating,uncertain......Life goes on and I must go on as well!.. I didn't know how to live like this after 38 years with no real injuries,I didn't want to live like this,didn't think I could.Once I decided to start living again and not just exist,life has been getting better,I have been getting better.I have learned to love myself all over again,I have someone in my life who excepts and loves me just the way I am (I can't believe it!) and everyday is not a bad one.It's easy to get depressed and give up but there's soo much life to live and people to meet and places to see.I'm stronger than I thought and the only limitations are the ones we set for ourselves.Life after?...well I'm not done with it yet but I have a feeling that it will continue to be full of suprises!!! :o
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Guys, :shock: ;)
What happens with these injuries , latter in life or at birth when they happen?? :roll:
You gain a will to try :roll: Your way in life.
Never giving into depression :roll: but think more about what you might try in life to adapt to ;) Problem are small when we post I think,
Arm strong your on your way :D It is a true quest to find a doctor that can help your injuries and what is harder is the pain issue We have,to deal with overtime and the amputation issue to I think???? :shock:
What is the best is trying to answer post :roll: , there is always a help by posting ;) :D
I wish I could get like a Novocain shot just to deaden the pain in some nerves?? :roll: maybe still in my life time??? I had my good arm ,deltoid torn so bad from my semi injury, it had to be detach totally and reattached Ouch :roll: :shock:
I only can offer a bag of tricks to adapt, I can only post from my experience and Hope it helps like so many post like this to ;)

Tom :D ;)
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP . Please read these AND Others on the Forum above this 1 "FOR ADULTS WITH OBPI Injuries".
alot of helpful information there.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75+++