DREZ ????

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
joan/rusty

DREZ ????

Post by joan/rusty »

Hi,
I had an app. with Kline last week and he said something about a procedure done at Yale or Duke. He said that it was 80% succ. to get all of the pain to go away. But he also said there was a 20% chance of losing movement in my left leg. Anyone ever heard of this? Or even had it done?
Rusty
cbr9

Re: DREZ ????

Post by cbr9 »

i had this procedure done. unfortunately the pain only diminished until the swelling went down. my surgery was 6hrs in length and comprised of spinal cord being burnt in approx. 100 places. burnt at 70 degrees for 10 secs. like yer doc said, i did temporalily lose partial use of left leg. i went down to about 60% strength, and had to tell my leg how to move. but it returned to 100% only about 1 month post surgery. i'm yet to go in for a second attempt, i've turned down two dates already, not sure if i wanna go in for burning at hotter and longer...
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

cbr9,
Any news on your experience with getting the DREZ surgery done?

Who was your surgeon and where did you have it done?

Thanks,
Christopher
gooftwo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c4,5,6,7 and t1 all avulsed,no left arm movement and fingers twich but no control.Had left arm removed at the shoulder.

Post by gooftwo »

going in next week see dr moosley pittsburg medical center surgery set for the 27th of feburay.hope for beeter results ,sorry to hear thing did not go so well for you. gooftwo
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

cbr9 and Christopher,
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
'Felt necessary to send "yous" a hug. 8-)

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75++++
gooftwo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c4,5,6,7 and t1 all avulsed,no left arm movement and fingers twich but no control.Had left arm removed at the shoulder.

Post by gooftwo »

i love the way that i can kill a thread just buy poosting a reply ,my surgery went well even thought my spianal cord was bad and they had to fix it also.I't seem like the pain has changed can't tell for sure yetbut it's only been a week.But i think its better it hurts from my incisschion point and my neck is very stiff but i'm still positive which is a lot comeing from a person.went to Pittsburg and the flight home sucked i live in Tacoma washington
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Ohhhh " gooftwo" , I live inTacoma/University Place too!! 8-)

I'd love to meet you at Star'bks. I am sooo happy for you that your surgery went well. If you care to meet for coffee please "Private Message" me on your Control Page,OK?
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75+++ 8-)