I won!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
cdmurfee

I won!

Post by cdmurfee »

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd toot my own horn for just a moment, if no one minds? I won the Southern California/Nevada state time trial championship bike race this weekend. I was so excited! It's a stepping stone to qualifying for the US Paralympic cycling team. I beat around 25 other fully able-bodied men. Below is a picture of me on the podium, where traditionally the winner raises their arms high, so I just did what I could. I must sound like a broken record, but please pursue your goals, and do it with a well thought out plan; that's what we have to do since we're all injured. I get down about my limitations sometimes, but I tend to focus more on what I can do and build from there. Anyway, you guys, our community, were always a big motivating factor for me to get out and train, especially after a really nasty crash I had 3 weeks ago (maniac took me down in a group race). If it's not too pretentious of me to do so, I want to dedicate my state championship win to all of you reading this!

-Chris, 28/LOBPI
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (140.17 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: I won!

Post by Carolyn J »

CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS!! WAY TO GO! AWesome accomplishment. A GREAT example for us BPI-ER'S ...We can do whatever we want AND set our minds to!!
Chris please post on Facebook, it will inspire parents too who don't come to UBPN.
HUGGZ,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+ 8-)

PS thank you for the Dedication and it IS OK to Brag for ourselves!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

The more we share the better off we are ;) The more we can try to give feed back inspires others to write ;) No one should ever write if you care :shock: Feed back on post that inspire should have feed back ;) I think :shock: ;)
Awesome accomplishment-!!
Tom
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Thanks so much! I just posted a little blurb on FB to hopefully reach a few more people. A common misconception I get with cycling is that it's all legs, which is true to an extent, except for the fact that I needed to learn to use and trust my BPI arm to steer, change hand positions, shift, eat and drink on the bike, change tires, sprint on the bike, etc. It's been a process, but it's been great to overcome a lot of deep seeded fears I've had in past related to my own perception of my arm. I doubt that I'm alone in how I've felt, so I wanted to share this with those who will understand.

-Chris, 28/LOBPI
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

That is great!!!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Fear will always be defeated by courage in the try ;)
Further pain to try is a life long thing, to try to deal with and the hope of a new pain pill that will help? :shock:
I drove motorcycles for years with birth erbs it hurt like hell to do so but, the joy of doing seem to lesson pain???
I think adapting and the joy of doing so :roll: out ways the fear, Just pick a post in trying ;) ;) :D If you have fears remember the wins you have adapt to in life by post there are so many :D
Just thinking :shock:
Tom
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Love hearing about successes of all of our community. Keep up the great work. It's awareness for everyone to see that this community is amazing!!