Wrist and Thumb Fusion

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
suzannesteam
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My now 18 year old son had a TBPI in a football game 1 Sep 2010 with his right arm at age 17. His C5-T1 are avulsed. Since then, he's had two surgeries at the Mayo Clinic. First one was left gracilis to right arm (2/11) and spinal accessory nerve transfer. Second one was right gracilis to right arm and transfer of 5 intercostal nerves (4/11). As of now, he has elbow flexion across his chest and slight finger movement/control).

Wrist and Thumb Fusion

Post by suzannesteam »

I've seen a few comments about wrist fusion but was wondering if there could be more of a detailed discussion on both the wrist and thumb fusion. My son Ryan is on the fence about the fusions. Can anyone elaborate more for him, the good and the bad. He's really interested to hear from those that had the fusion and thier thoughts, whether there was/is any regrets.

Thanks!
Suzanne
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: Wrist and Thumb Fusion

Post by MW »

Hi Suzanne,

The team at Mayo has repeatedly offered wrist/thumb fusion to me but I have always turned it down. I use one of Dan's athletic slings for running and other sports (see message board thread for Athletic Arm Sling), and it actually really helps to be able to tuck my hand and palm into a flat position inside the sling, whereas that would not be possible if my wrist was fused.

So yes, I'm choosing to forgo a better hand position and appearance in my daily life so that I can be more competitive when I'm running or training. But I know there's no meaningful time limit on when I can get that fusion done, so I figure that if I get older and less inclined toward sports, maybe the fusion will be a good idea then.

But I have seen posts from folks that really like it - you can sometimes hold stuff in the fused hand, easier to put on clothes, etc.

Hope this helps!

MW
PatE
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right brachial plexus avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8 and T1 from 1979 car accident. Wore sling for 30 years. Gracilis and Trapezius transfer 2011. Wrist fusion and finger tendon release 2012.

Re: Wrist and Thumb Fusion

Post by PatE »

Hi Suzanne and Mike.

Mike, hope you are doing well since we meet at the Mayo Clinic.

I had the wrist and thumb fusion last November . . . but am quite a bit older than Mike and your son. I, too, have the C5-T1 avulsion. It has worked out for the best. It has eliminated the floppy wrist and has provided for much better assistance. I also had tendons released on each finger. Between the fusions and tendon releases, I actually had a bit of spontaneous recovery and can slightly flex my finger although I do not have extension. Regardless, it's very exciting to see movement after so many years. Everyone is different so talk with your doctors and keep asking questions.

Regards
Pat