ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
levifitz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi, my name is John and I received a brachial plexus injury trying to take out a tree on my Grizzly June 9th 2012. Unfortunately, the tree won and killed my atv. I will be having a ct mylogram done next week to determine extent of damage. It's been a rough 3 months adjusting without the use of my right arm. your lifestyle changes so abrubtly and I find it very difficult to function. I'm 47 years old and welcome any insight and guidance about this injury. I've been a carpenter for many years and never really appreciated the use of two arms until now. We take so much for granted until something traumatic occurs. If anyone knows of any good doctors specializing in Brachial Plexus injuries, feel free to post them for me. I live in northern New York and have yet to find any up here.

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by levifitz »

Hello,
My name is John and I'm 46 and live near the Adirondacks in New York. A tree had jumped out in front of my brand new Grizzly atv and unfortunately totalled it. Good news is I'm here to tell about it, but it also left my right arm completely useless. Tolerating the pain for these last four months has been challenging, but even worse is the depressive state it has left me in. After every test has been done, I'm again waiting for a consultation from a Doctor in Columbia University to see what surgical options are available. I would love any positive feedback from anyone.
Jake
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of injury: 26/05/2011
Motorcycle accident caused tear of plexus nerves: C5 and C6 torn outside of the spine and C7, C8 and T1 torn out of the spine.
Surgery: Nerves from the calf grafted onto C5 and C6.

Post by Jake »

Jacob from the Netherlands here. Just registered on this site. Fell off my motorcycle in may 2011 (can't remember what happened, probably caused by head trauma). C7, C8 and T1 are goners, C5 and C6 have been operated on so still waiting for final verdict. Having an awful lot of problems coping without my right arm. Kudos to the ones who did.
Gunsurgeon

Post by Gunsurgeon »

My names Raymond on August 19, 2012 a 84yo man in a mini van made a left turn with out yielding directly in front of my motorcycle (2012 Kawi ZX14R). I hit his passenger front fender. When I flew off the bike my body hit the side of the mini van.i suffered a severed blood vessel to my brain, 11 broken bones in my face, 4 broken ribs, a broken right femur, a broken left knee cap, and a brachial plexus injury to my right arm. I have no feeling in my right arm at all from the shoulder down. I have no feeling in my right collar bone and limited feeling from my right ear to my right shoulder. I can move my shoulder, but there is no movement in anything below the shoulder. I am thankful for being alive and know I have a long road to recovery.
aaron23

Post by aaron23 »

Hi I'm Aaron Golladay From the good ole state of Kentucky I wrecked my 4 wheeler 4 yrs ago have a nerve avulsion bpi it's pretty gnarly. I've been on here lurkin for like 3 yrs lol
Jeff O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Sept 20, 2011...first diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis (which was validated by MRI's and EMG's) had four level (c-3 through c-7) cervical spinal fusion. Right shoulder continued to atrophy and symptoms in right hand/arm continued. Recovered very well from surgery, but...was diagnosed with brachial plexus neuritis April 12, 2012. My right hand is my primary hand. Prior to the injury I was an illustrator that specialized in zoo and aquarium exhibit illustration work. I was very physically active playing ice hockey 2-3 days a week, tennis 2-3 days a week and working out. I am a 52 year old male, but was playing hockey in an open (21 and over) league. Now I'm just hoping that the deterioration of my shoulder will stop/has stopped. My right hand is in constant pain/numbness if I move my elbow away from my ribcage. Have a great sense of hopelessness. Just found this site today.

Post by Jeff O »

Jeff from Oak Park, Illinois. I credit this network with getting me to the right doctors at the Mayo Clinic in time to actually make a difference in my life. Still a long way to go, but remaining hopeful...I'm down to Lyrica and Ibuprofen, which is a HUGE improvement from the pharmacy that I had been ingesting just a few months ago. Working with a local doc to try to wean myself off of Lyrica. Would almost rather have the constant "white noise" of pain than to keep putting these drugs into my body.
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Jeffrey Jones, Raleigh NC Motorcycle accident in May, 2008
scott birk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Rt tbpi 11/2/13

Post by scott birk »

Hi all,

Scott, right arm, motorcycle accident 11/2/12.

Thanks for being here everyone!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+++++

I always follow TBPI Forum Board 'cause I learn soooo much about Pain Management. I need all the help I can get! :shock:
JsWoody
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: may,1993 injury LTBPI

Post by JsWoody »

Jeff from Michigan,RTBPI Injury May of 1993 from an auto accident
hi_perkit

Post by hi_perkit »

hey all!!!

Tatiana...born & raised in Hawaii...currently living in Tucson, AZ by way of the military...motorcycle accident on May 12, 2006 got my right arm while on my way to work when I was living in California...one unsuccessful surgery in June of 2007.