Downhiller Tom Wheeler on adapting to life with one hand

Questions, stories, victories and antidotes to everyday challenges of traumatic injuries.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... and-33596/
By Faye Sanders in Bath, England | Wednesday, Apr 4, 2012 11.20am
After losing the use of his right hand, Tom Wheeler must operate his gears and both front and rear brakes using his left hand (Faye Sanders/BikeRadar)

On 26 March 2011, Tom Wheeler entered a race that would change his life forever. A horrific crash at Rheola in South Wales left him with a paralysed right arm. As someone who’s been racing and riding bikes for his whole life, he was determined not to let his injury stop his enjoyment of the sport. We caught up with him nearly a year after his accident to find out how he’s adapted to riding one-handed.

BikeRadar: So Tom, just to recap, how exactly did you injure yourself?

TW: I decided last-minute to enter the first WDMBA round at Rheola, as it’s always a really good track and I hadn’t raced there for ages. It was a good weekend riding and I was feeling faster than I’d been in a long time.

On the last run of the day I was showing some lines to a younger rider, cruising down and checking out different sections. There was a branch overhanging the track that I’d been aware of and pre-warned other riders about earlier in the day. My hand just tapped the branch and I remember riding the handlebar, tapping the brakes and then it goes blank. It went from having a good time on my bike with my friends to a serious situation fast.

What was the damage?

I experienced serious damage to my brachial plexus – a set of five nerves that exit the spine at the neck and control your arm. In my case, I'd torn four of the five permanently out of my spine, leaving my right arm completely paralysed. The one nerve still remaining has been grafted with nerves from my leg and side and may give me some limited movement within my bicep and forearm. I spent close to two weeks in hospital, with three MRI scans which themselves were pretty daunting, and then spent 13 hours straight on the operating table.

It was a horrible feeling lying on the floor after the accident trying to work out what had happened. It was a messy situation to be in and I’m just glad I've only lost the use of my arm – I could have lost so much more.

The first couple of weeks after leaving hospital were so hard. I went from being a super-active guy on the bike four or five times a week and in full-time work to a guy who couldn’t stay awake for more than a couple of hours and found it extremely difficult to dress himself. Every day is hard but I’m just so glad to be recovering and back at work. I still love mountain biking and don’t plan on stopping any time soon. It's actually pretty rad riding one handed!

You've modified your bike for one-handed use. How were your first few rides?

I'd developed a custom MotoGP rear thumb brake system with Chris Porter and Tim Smith at Mojo Suspension [where Tom works ~ ed] and it was working well. The Hopey steering damper was keeping my front wheel straight, I made a few small tweaks to my suspension setup and after three rides I was gradually getting the hang of it.

A Hopey steering damper makes it easier for Tom to control the bike one-handed, while a MotoGP style thumb lever is used to operate the rear brake

I started by riding some flat turns and just gradually learnt how to hold my position on the bike and built my confidence from there. Learning how to control my brakes was the hardest thing but after a few sessions it all fell into place. When I was able to feather the rear brake with my thumb while doing a wheelie I knew things were coming together!

What's the next step for you?

A carbon fibre brace is being developed with the help of Ability. It'll be kitted out with a custom-made Fox damper that the guys at Mojo are currently working on. The brace will allow me to have a small amount of support on my right-hand side. My hand will be in contact with the bar via an electromagnetic system which will be manually operated, enabling me to switch the magnetic force on and off, and disconnect from the bar when need be.

It’s a project that we're really excited about and the dream is to be able to manual my bike again. If Chris has anything to do with it, we have a high chance of it becoming reality.

Since we met up with Tom at Mojo, his carbon brace has been completed. "Even on my turbo trainer it makes things easier," he tells us. "I'd totally forgotten what it felt like to have support coming from the right as well... Loving it!"

A detailed look at Tom’s modified Orange 5 can be seen in this month’s Mountain Biking UK magazine (issue 276), on sale today. To see him in action, check out the Tom Wheeler Project videos by Eyes Down Films: http://www.eyesdownfilms.tv/wordpress/c ... ocumentary.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Downhiller Tom Wheeler on adapting to life with one hand

Post by Christopher »

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi Chris

Assume post, hope we can go for a MB ride this summer

Saludos
Fernando
Christopher

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Fernando! I would love that!
I'm dying to see how someone else handle the one armed ride. It'd be a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Chris
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

Man that's awesome I just sold my motorcycle....one of the hardest things I've had to do since this injury.....really sucks.
Christopher

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

I completely understand Armstrong!!!

Desire & practice, and anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKQjiTOXRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfSZW_QN9EU

http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/arms.htm
(click on the adaptations index on the left side in black)

It's what ever is right for you my friend. Only you.

Chris
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Nice post again and I found this in one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osbS9WMG ... re=related

Fernando
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

Post by johnmetalman »

A response is no necessity. My name is john williamson and I respect Tom Wheeler.
Oscar280
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Crashed a snowmobile on December 26th, 1996. Lost use of complete right arm.

Post by Oscar280 »

Great story. I ride a recumbant trike and use a bar end shifter for the front sprocket and a grip shifter for the rear. Works well. I'm very intrigued about the carbon fiber brace. I haven't mountain biked since my accident and now my son is getting to an age where he wants to mountain bike. I really want to be able to do this with him so don't be surprised if I hit you up for some more info! :D

Thanks for sharing your story and pics!