ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by Carolyn J »

Lisa, where are you in Washington? I'm in Tacoma. I did miss finding someone from Vancouver WA at Camp UBPN in July...are you the one I missed? :(
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Hello All,

My name is Jeffrey Jones. I had a motorcycle accident May 24th, 2008. 88 year old lady didn't see me and I hit her in the front quarter panel of her truck. I suffered 2 avulsions in my spinal cord as well as 9 broken bones. My left arm was useless for a year. I had a nerve transfer done by Dr. Li of Wake Forest University and then 3 years later I had a muscle transfer. Life is different but still good. I enjoy reading from time to time the different post. I probably don't participate as often as I should on this forum. ;)
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

Bill from Brooklyn, New York
injured while riding a bicycle ( hit by an automobile). suffered compound fracture of left tibia, left femur, left radius & ulnar on July 21, 1968. Brachial Plexus injury to left arm. No surgery for BP.
Mostly_All_Right_Guy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left TBPI happened on May 25, 2007

Post by Mostly_All_Right_Guy »

Hey,

I'm James from Toronto, Ontario, Ca.

I was in a motorcycle accident on May 24, 2007. I suffered a left bpi which has left no movement from my shoulder down.
hubbard
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 07-08-2012 Left BPI, which is dominant arm. Had a bicycle accident.

Post by hubbard »

Marsena from Iowa. On July 8, 2012 my 26 yr old son suffered a BPI. Not sure of the details of his injury, but has no use or movement of his left arm/hand/fingers. Searching for anything that might help us understand. Appointment with Mayo Clinic Oct 1
TrippWest
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left arm was injured in April of 2012 when I was dragged by a car during a robbery.

Post by TrippWest »

My name is Seth Resler, from San Jose, CA. I was robbed and dragged by a car almost 5 months ago. Dr. Catherine Curtin performed surgery on me at Stanford Hospital about 5 weeks ago.
peterabb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA 3/15/08 (TBPI)
Avulsed C-5, 6, 7, 8 T-1
Mayo Total BP Reconstruction 7/15/08
Pain issues

Post by peterabb »

Peter West Haven CT
Injured in car accident 3/15/08 C-5 through C-8 and T-1 avulsed
Surgical intervention: Mayo clinic full BP reconstruction 7/15/08
:)
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

Post by johnmetalman »

My name is john. Right tbpi from 2007. Hit by car. North carolina usa.
JACKD

Post by JACKD »

Jack--- from Seattle Wa

LBPI on August 2008 from a bicycle accident
Just returned home after my 4th Surgery at the Mayo Clinic last week
I confess to LURKING, but I learned a lot of what to expect, and what to plan for all of these procedures.

Thanks All NON LURKERS!
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Post by thebrain »

My name is Brian, not exactly a lurker but too busy to be on here much these days (grad school). Motorcycle accident, 2009, left arm totally paralyzed.