New member as of 7/20/12

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: New member as of 7/20/12

Post by MW »

Hi Francisco,

I agree with Lisa that amitrptyline (elavil) is a good option. The first few times you take it, you're absolutely knocked out (I think I slept 13 hours the first night). The pain relief seems to last awhile too. Also, it's cheap. Places like Target and Walmart usually have it on their $3 generics list. I was going to Walgreens, and my insurance wouldn't cover it because the retail cost of the drug was LOWER than my copay.

The only reason I stopped taking it was because it was having a few side effects on my running that I didn't like - basically at the end of 10-12 miles on a hot day, you would feel like you were about to pass out (when normally I would be fine). If you're not into endurance events you're probably in the clear.

I hear you on changes in temperature affecting pain. Here in Chicago it can get ridiculous in winter and close to 100 in the summer. I've also found that air pressure affects the pain too, so I notice it when I'm in an airplane. My advice is to know what your triggers are, and when you know it's going to happen, stay as relaxed as you can so the pain fades away faster.

Best,
MW
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Francisco,

Sorry to say, Welcome to the World of Traumatic Brachial Plexus Injuries! When I read your submission you reminded me so much of myself 4 years ago when this injury occurred to me.

I floated around with different meds but was somewhat determined to live without medication one day. (*I have not succeeded in that yet, but I do take a considerable amount less than I did in the 1st year of the injury). I was on 4,800 Neurotin daily as well as amitryptolean at night to rest. I brought the amount down to around 2,400 my 2nd year and now I am on just Lyrica two times per day, morning when I get up and 3pm. Now here is the biggie, I am now learning to live a normal life again. I exercise regularly (I run wearing a sling) and live a productive life again. Most folks who do not know me can hardly tell that I don't use my arm but limited and things have turned around. I said all that to say - all the pain, surgeries and etc are worth it, stay in there! Life does get better. You can live a full happy life in spite of this injury...I promise! This site proved to inspire me back in those days, so keep reading and communicating with others who have walked down this road. Keep on keeping on!
FsanchezGSXR

Post by FsanchezGSXR »

Hey everyone thanks for the replies,

As of right now my pain levels have lowered after a month out of surgery, even though I'm still fighting the battle trying to get some good sleep. My elbow sesitivity is still really high so sleeping is rough, for some reason the back of my bicep tends to get colder than my whole body, idk if it's because of the lack of blood flow. I'm ruccently still only sleeping flat on my back which I hate.
I'm currently enrolled in physical therapy and I'm on my third session, just working on making my left arm stronger, and stretching my right injured arm. I'm giving it everything ive got at my sessions and at home, I refuse to let BPI beat me or steal my life from me! Even though it's draining as hell which me all know I am trying my best!
I used to be on disepramine.. Idk spelling. It's an anti depressant but I used it for sleeping, it didn't really knock me out until I work up I realized I couldn't get my day started due to the fact that I felt like I had only gotten an hour of sleep and just couldn't crawl outta bed! And once I did I felt like I was drunk! So I stopped taking it.
I called a few doctors and nurses and my hospital and I haven't got a call back! This was about to weeks ago. USC community hospital is horrible at call backs or they sometimes don't call you back... So I'll keep trying to get though to ask my doc about this medicine!
Thank you all so much for the advice and info! It truly means the world to me!

Best wishes, Francisco
Rico_Laniohan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I suffered a Brachial plexus injury do to a motorcycle crash, my complete left arm is paralyzed. It happened in June of 2010. I was 25 years old. unfortunately, I've never had surgery. If theres help out there im willing to try anything to help it heal. I need resources.

Post by Rico_Laniohan »

Whatsup Sisco, im Fernando aka Rico. Im goin thru the exact same shit as you bruh. Crashed my kowi, woke up two weeks later with a paralyzed left arm and a big ass surgical scar on my stomach. This was two years ago. I feel you about the pain, that shit sucks. I still go thru it mentally from time to time, I even get mad at God sometimes and say or think stupid shit. It gets rough but I keep my faith and pray constantly. Just remember it was the devil that did this to us even if it was your fault. We weren't created to live in pain and agony so be joyful that your still Alive and give thanks for that life. I know its hard, trust me I do but, I believe im still here for a bigger reason. Trees help alot, im gettin ready to fire up here in a sec myself lol. I went thru depression for like the first seven months after my injury. I hated my life and would of rather died then be like this buuuut life goes on with or witout you. Just think it could be a hell of alot worse, I mean you could have been paralyzed from the waist down or from the neck down. When I get down I thimk about stuff like this. I think about all the young vet's who got thier arms and legs blown off. Shit, I bet they'd trade places with us in a heart beat. So keep ur head up bruhbruh and keep God in your life man, piece.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

when i was going through the pain in my elbow from touching the side of my body, i took 2 hand towels and wrapped one on my forearm below my elbow and one around the top of my arm. leaving my elbow elevated and not touching anything. that helped me get some sleep. sometimes i had to use a pillow along with the towels to support my hand. hope this helps. it is miserable not being able to sleep. i also had something from a previous lung surgery called a lung pillow. it is shaped like a lung and i put my arm in it and it supported my arm so the elbow did not touch my body. went back and forth between the two.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

The never ending pain!!! yeah guys been dealing with this from day one and it seems like different things work better than others.I've tried everything from dr. prescribed dope to accupuncture to self prescribed dope :D .....no matter what I use the pain comes and goes so I stopped relying on any one thing and just use a combination of stuff but mainly,for me,just keeping my mind off of the arm(which we all know is not easy with this injury) seems to keep the pain at bay.Spicy peppers which I love help the circulation,decaf tea helps to calm me down,red wine is good before bed(heck red wine is good before anything! :D )a good massage can help relieve the overall stress in the body.Sometimes I think the emotional and mental pain make the physical pain worse....mind,body and spirit...if one of those is out of wack,the others suffer,so for us bpi'ers it's an ongoing battle!
Good luck to everyone!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:25 am.