Any one in Western Washington

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
wafloodzone

Any one in Western Washington

Post by wafloodzone »

Hey there,

Is there anyone in Washington state that has a Brachial Plexus injury? I have complete avulsion of C5 - C-8 and T-1 from a motorcycle accident 7/27/11. I'm having a difficult time finding a Dr that is trained in BPI. There was one in Seattle but he moved to San Fransisco. My insurance doesn't want to pay for me to go out of state for surgery but I'm not finding a lot of options here.

Thanks,

Lisa
Brandon_3

Re: Any one in Western Washington

Post by Brandon_3 »

Hi Lisa my name is Brandon and I live near Vancouver, Wa. I was injured 5/12/05, complete avulsion on my right arm. I spent oodles of time searching for a Doctor in Washington and had some luck and I also went to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. I would be more than happy to talk to you about my experience. Here is my email address Brandonhubbard_3@msn.com and if you email me I will give you my phone number if you want to just talk on the phone. I am very sorry to hear about your injury, I know how difficult this time is for you because I've been there, was there, am there. So I would be more than happy to give you any help I can.
Sincerely
Brandon Hubbard
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

I left out that I had surgery at Both the University of Washington and at the Mayo Clinic. I also have some insight as to Cost and time frames and It is hard for me to go into alot more detail because I hate typing what I've learned over the last 7 years unless I know specifically what you would like to know. One handed typing is a drag...
Brandon
gooftwo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c4,5,6,7 and t1 all avulsed,no left arm movement and fingers twich but no control.Had left arm removed at the shoulder.

Post by gooftwo »

hey brandon where you at I live in tacoma and Ipulled C-4,5.6.7 and T-1 arm was useless so now it is gone but still like to talk to another freak like me.life is a bitch but what are you going to do .send me a line if you want Ill give you my number or e-mail I hate to type very much though
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

while I do not live on the west coast, I have a BPI since 1968. I'm writing because I see the disappointment in your writing. The injury is a common injury for someone riding a bike, whether it be a motorcycle or bicycle. I was injured while riding a bicycle ( hit by a car).

The surgery is important but getting talk therapy is important also. for many years I was depressed. I had been an Olympic hopeful at the time of my injury. I spent 9 months in a hospital (surgery & rehab). I have no felling at all below my elbow, some biceps, no triceps, 4 finger sublux of the left shoulder.

In the decades since the accident, I have learned to ride with one arm, XC ski, swim, fly fish & live with the injury. I can tie my shoes, button my clothes, tie all types of ties, peel fruit. I try to live without limits.

Bill