One Handed Typing Software for PCs

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: One Handed Typing Software for PCs

Post by MW »

Hi Peter,

I've been typing 1 handed for over 2 years. The reason why I haven't tried other keyboards or software yet is because I work as a software consultant and I'm on different computers (for my clients) as I do my job. So I haven't wanted to learn a way to type that only works on my PC, but I still have to go back to the old way on another PC. That being said this post still took a while to type.

Does Limber store novel letter combinations? For example, I want to type the name "Fogarty" with my right hand, so I end up typing Johluy instead... can the software remember that "Fogarty" is something I type?

Best,

MW
pkamb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: One-hand keyboard software developer.

Post by pkamb »

Yep, I can commiserate... I type in the Dvorak layout myself, which is always annoying when I sit down at someone else's computer. Just something we have to deal with I guess. I've become a decent QWERTY hunt-and-pecker :)

As for the "Fogarty" thing, yes, you can type that even if it's not in the dictionary. Two ways:

1. With the full version, you can add any word to the dictionary. Add your last name or any other word, and Limber will always get it.

2. When there isn't an exact dictionary match, Limber still makes an educated guess at what word you really want. So for "fogarty", the letter options are:

[fj][wo][gh][a;][ru][ty][ty]

From which Limber guesses:
fogaryt
joharty
fogarty

Pressing 'tab' then cycles through the possible word options. In this example the word you wanted is the third most likely word. If you think you tapped out a word correctly but it didn't show up, always try hitting 'tab' a few times to see if it's a possible option.

I'm still working on ways to improve this, but they're decent workarounds for now. And you can of course always switch back to the regular keyboard momentarily to type in a very difficult word.
pkamb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: One-hand keyboard software developer.

Post by pkamb »

FYI, changing the name up a bit to make it more search-engine friendly. And less yoga-like :)

http://www.onehandkeyboard.org

Thanks!
pkamb

Post by pkamb »

I've updated the app with a few different layout options:

The way I type, I use my left ring finger to type "Z", middle finger to type "X", etc. I thought everyone did it like this!

Now, the default is to type "Z" with your pinky, "X" with your ring finger, etc. Seems as if this is more common. Still an option for the other method of course.

Anyone have any feedback? I love making small improvements like this to make it more usable, so let me know.
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

Definitely waiting for the Mac version but might get the PC version so that I can learn the software. This has made my little day!
pkamb

Post by pkamb »

Brandon_3 wrote:Definitely waiting for the Mac version but might get the PC version so that I can learn the software. This has made my little day!
Have you been able to try the PC version? Does the concept make sense / "work" for you?
pkamb

Post by pkamb »

One-Hand Keyboard: now with question-mark support! Updated the software on the website, please re-install to get a few new features.

http://www.onehandkeyboard.org
fbull66
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: bpi from motorcycle accident 7/15/2009

had it fixed jan 20 2010 and were wating for something to come out of it all

Post by fbull66 »

wow this is great but im not sure my son will go for it he still thinks theres nothing wrong with him ....but i did send him the link...
yvonne
Yvonne Patric's mother
fbull66
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: bpi from motorcycle accident 7/15/2009

had it fixed jan 20 2010 and were wating for something to come out of it all

Post by fbull66 »

can you send me the link to try it out for the pc
yvonne fbull66@gmail.com

pkamb wrote:Hi everyone, my name's Peter. I'm the developer of Limber, the one-hand keyboard software mentioned in the first post.

Thank you to Christopher for emailing me and letting me know about this forum. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the software or one-hand typing in general. And Christopher, you'll be happy to know that I officially started working on a Mac version last night :)

The main benefit of Limber is that it's extremely easy to learn for anyone who was *formerly* a two-hand typist. The muscle memory transfers over very quickly. There's an unrestricted free trial on the website, check it out. I'd be very interested in any feedback.

@pieface No need to "have one of the keyboards", it's actually software that installs on your PC and works with any hardware keyboard. Give it a try and see if it works well in tandem with Dragon.

Thanks,
Peter
Yvonne Patric's mother
pkamb

Post by pkamb »

Email sent, thanks! Hope it's helpful.

To everyone who's waiting for the Mac version: I'm close to being done with development! I'm shooting for a release by the end of September. Thanks for being patient :)