Arm/shoulder fatigue during band

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
rachelcasa

Re: Arm/shoulder fatigue during band

Post by rachelcasa »

I used to play the trumpet as well. I just remember my neck always hurting afterwards becaue I always tended to lean to one side. All of my band photos I look as if I am in pain with a lean. I would imagine eventually you build up strength but the pain really doesn't ever go away. I was only in one marching band and I do remember that being the worst. A lot of over compensating. Don't give it up though...music is a great way to escape. Best of luck.
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Being involved in music is the best that ever happened to me and to my BPI. I play trombone, which I hold entirly with my left(LOBPI) arm. I definitely remember it getting fatigued when I was in high school, but as I teach music privately, I'm finding out that most kids experience fatigued in their arms anyway, regardless if they were perfectly healthy or not, althought I admit, it's probably not bad as a person w/ BPI. Having said that, I used to do everything I could think of to work out my BPI arm so I could be more comfortable while playing in band. Walking home from school, I'd hold my trombone case in my left hand for as long as I could. I'd also, and still do, isolate things that my BPI arm can do, and try to make that stronger, and eventually gain more function that I thought I'd never have in the first place. Ex: I couldn't do a push up when I started high school, but I could hold myself up in the push up position with my arms extended, although not for long. So I just worked on doing that for longer periods. Then after several weeks of that, I would be in the push up position, stomach lying on the floor, and t he most I could lift myself was an inch, so I just worked on that for a while. Eventually, I was able to lift my body weight and do a full push up, after about 6 months or so. Going through all that, amoung other approaches, did contribute to holding my instrument without excess fatigue. I guess my whole point, is that there are lots of creative ways to deal with BPI challenges, and I would never have gone through that without the desire to play the trombone. I currently play trombone for a living, and teach trombone to kids individually or in small groups.

Another point to keep in mind that I have realized, is that my left arm is shorter and skinnier than my right, however, it is not at all the size that it was when I was born w/ BPI. That taught me that the developement of my arm is much slower than the right, but that it still will develope, and to be patient about it's progress. I hope any of that helps! Good luck!

-Chris, 25/LOBPI
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I found this...

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pa ... ontinued=0

"neck holder for wind instrument"

I'm sure there's more out there.... have a google or bing party :)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

YOU GO, CHRIS!!!!
Let's have a band concert At CAMP 2010 of all who play instruments & you be both Band Master AND play that Trombone...I want to hear the sweet music of YOUR "Muse"! :)
Carolyn J
LOBPI adult
ps .. the "bold" doesn't work for me,I am NOT yelling ;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I don't have an instument anymore. Have been thinking about getting one again,because I really did enjoy playing--although I did try a trumpet that a friend had. It sounded like the love call of a sick cow. Maybe I need some practice???
A saxophone as well as some other woodwinds have a neck thing that attaches to the middle of the instument and holds it up and in place. The fingerings--at least on a tenor sax were very good for me and allowed me to reach them and have a good place to rest my arm.
Trumpet was a little tougher--but I remember playing with one hand at times too. I had a good experience with band and recommend it highly
( Of ocurse I was in school in the dark ages.....)
Pat
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Pat,

If you're not opposed to something different, you might want to try the euphonium. It has a beautiful tone, it's easy to learn, and if you buy the Stewart Stand(like I did) it's the easiest instrument to hold while sitting, because the stand supports 100% of the weight. A euphonium might be a little pricier, but it'd be great for the reasons I listed above. I had to learn it as a double, but I honestly enjoy the heck out of it. Plus, if you ever wanted to join a community wind band, they would love to have you because not many people tend to buy their own after they are out of school. You can still read treble clef, and the fingerings are the same as trumpet. Something to think about.

Chris 25/LOBPI