Woman of Wonder - My Story from South Africa

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
desert_rose

Woman of Wonder - My Story from South Africa

Post by desert_rose »

Hi all

A national radio station based here in South Africa is hosting a competition called Women of Wonder over the next month. the competition features stories of women who inspire and motivate others in life because of what they have been through and accomplished. These stories can be heard as a podcast on www.radioislam.co.za and just click on WOW

This is what I wrote as my contribution...

If I had to choose one statement to sum up the driving force in moulding my character and accomplishments, as well as my attitude and motivation in life, it would be “where there’s a will, there’s a way.” My amazing story began 20 years ago…

I was only 3 years old when my life reached a turning point. What had been a fun day out shopping with my parents and brother, ended up in what many would have called tragedy. Jumping in the back of the van with my brother (on the way home) was the last recollection that I have, and then it’s all blank….

Next, I recall waking up in my parents’ bed with a bandage on my right arm, unaware of the incident that had taken place. With distressed family members surrounding me, I had come to know that I had fallen off from the back of the moving van. This accident left me with a brachial plexus injury in its most severe form, no use of my right arm.

To some, such news would have been the end of their world, but for me it was a whole new beginning. I grew up and spent my toddler years just as the average child would. Nothing stood in my way preventing me from leading a normal life, just like everybody else. I learnt to be self sufficient from a young age, learning to tie my own shoelaces, button and zip up my own clothes, ride a bicycle and even play sports like tennis and cricket all with one hand. I attended a mainstream primary and high school, and appreciated the fact my peers and teachers accepted me for who I am. I accomplished the unexpected and left many in awe, as I learnt how to touch type using only one hand across the entire keyboard. Obtaining my drivers license has been one of my greatest lifetime accomplishments. After a very successful 12 years at school, I was finally on my way to university. There I completed a bCom HR degree. My third year at university wasn’t quite like what the average student would have experienced. I got married and still managed to pass my degree Cum Laude (with distinction), Alhamdulillah (Praise be to God). In November that year, an ultrasound scan confirmed what would be my next greatest challenge in life... changing nappies, feeding and handling a tiny baby with one hand!

On August the 1st 2007, Allah (God) blessed me with a healthy baby boy whom we called Uzayr (Ezra). Ever since the accident occurred, I have been totally independent and was really excited to find my own way to care for my baby with no help from anyone else. Once again I beat all odds and found my own way of doing things. Amongst my many techniques, I use my mouth to help put his clothes on, and I use my toes to keep his legs up whilst I clean his bottom. My ability to look after my son with one hand was once again established at the birth of my second child, Isa (Jesus), 16 months later.

To this date, I am married for 3 years and take great joy in caring for my husband, children and household. I perform all domestic tasks such as cooking and cleaning without assistance. Amongst the many arts that I have mastered, is peeling a potato, cutting up meat, slicing fruits and vegetables into fine pieces and providing accurate measurements for cooking and baking using my one hand.

Over the past 20 years I have moved mountains, accomplished the unexpected and left negative people in awe with regards to what I have achieved in life. I firmly believe in the statement ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way,’ and I hope that my accomplishments will make me a pillar of strength to my children, and to people who have physical limitations.

This is me, Zeenat Paruk.
Sparrow

Re: Woman of Wonder - My Story from South Africa

Post by Sparrow »

Very inspirational! Thank you for sharing.
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Awesome Story...
We all have a story...Thank You for sharing yours...
There are many who share in your joy and triumphs..
With Peace, Love & Light
Mardelle
Leah 83

Post by Leah 83 »

What an awesome inspiration, I learn something new and gain greater appreciation for this injury that we all share every time I come on here. I care for two small children as well, and you said it where there is a will there is a way.

God Bless!,
Leah