4 yr old daughter about to have surgery....

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: 4 yr old daughter about to have surgery....

Post by Carolyn J »

Kiman,
FYI you might get more response to your questions about your daughter if you copy & paste your post onto the "GENERAL FORum message board as more mothers go there than on this one...timewise, some mom's only go to one message board, the "Genral Forum" one. HOWEVER, you,EVERYONE, is welcome on ANY Message Forum Board.

Good Luck with you daughter's surgery.
Carolyn J
LOBPI adult
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
kimanddavid@lafayettela.com

4 yr old daughter about to have surgery....

Post by kimanddavid@lafayettela.com »

My daughter is scheduled for Sept. 1st to have surgery by Dr. Nath. She was born with ROBPI. The pediatrician caught it on day two, and she started therapy after a week old. She conitnued up to a year old, then I had my second child. I continued therapy at home all the time even when she was going to therapy three times a week. We are very blessed b/c she has really ragained a lot of function. She still cannot raise her arm above shoulder level, no external rotation, no behind the back movement, arm is shorter due to elbow not extending all the way, and her scapula is winged. I graduated in Kinesiolgy with a Minor in Exercise Science. So I have the knowledge background. I feel comfortable dealing with her. I have never treated her any different than my son and she knows that she has no limitations. I teach her that she can do anything she puts her mind to, it just might take some imagination! Her surgery will be Dr. Nath's MODQUAD procedure. I am getting anxious about it. I have heard great things, but am just wondering if it is the right thing for her. I read other posts about situations that are much worse than hers, and wonder if she will benefit from doing this procedure? Is it worth her to go through the long haul of recovery after the fact? Has anyone had this procedure?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 am.