Looking @ Doc.'s

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
angelsmom1

Looking @ Doc.'s

Post by angelsmom1 »

Looking @ /about Doc.'s Our daughter is 6 now, needs a new OBPI doc. , we live in the north panhandle of florida. Thanks
Kaiden'smom

Re: Looking @ Doc.'s

Post by Kaiden'smom »

We really like Dr Kozin, he's in Philly at Shriner's. We fly from Michigan, he's worth the trip. The travel's a pain, but it's free at the hospital, they never charge for any of their services. My son had the ACR surgery in October there, so we've been out there several times in the last year. There's also a couple Ronald McDonald houses in that area, $15/night. They really help keep the travel costs down. Good luck with your search. Oh, also if you look at the resources page, there's a Dr listing, I think your can search by state.
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Dr. Kozin is a great doctor and Shriners will help with the transportation if you have an appointment. I met a lady there from Florida at our last visit.
claudia

Post by claudia »

We have a medical resource page on the website. You can search via state. The docs have filled out a questionaire online, so you can learn a little about them. Most are quite email friendly and will answer questions via email, though you will probably have to see them sooner or later.

I recommend getting at least two opinions, if not more.

I take our daughter to see Scott Kozin, Andy Price and Peter Waters.

good luck,
claudia
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

We are seeing Dr. Kozin now, great doc, but our insurance will no longer pay for us to fly up to Philly, so we have to find one here in Florida.
So besides Doc. Kozin and Doc. Nath, know any here in the state of Florida? Thanks :0)
bellasnana

Post by bellasnana »

angelsmom1, you should check out miracleflights.org if you would like to continue seeing Dr.Kozin. They helped me out when I had to take my granddaughter to see Dr.Kozin.
tkirkland
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter suffered a ROBPI at birth on 10/7/2000. She has had no surgeries as of yet but we are currently seeking surgical intervention. She is a continous source of strength and encouragement for as she absolutely amazing!!!

Post by tkirkland »

I am so excited to see so many good comments about Dr. Kozin. My daughter has an appointment to see him next month for the first time. She is 8 yrs old and has recently seen Dr. Nath at an outreach in NJ. He recommended surgery for her but I am taking you alls advice and getting a few more opinions. The people at Shriner seem very nice over the phone. I'll let you know how everything works out after I get back next month.
katep

Post by katep »

angelsmom,

We've been able to get help from our local Shrine for transportation to/from Philadelphia from Los Angeles. They helped even though Dr. Kozin wasn't the closest BPI surgeon in the Shriners network, because we were an established patient already. The local travel coordinator for Shriners (Susan is her name I think?) gave us the contact information for the local Shrine.

Kate
Cole's Mommy

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Yes, our local shrine also pays for transportation (flight for my son and one parent)...and our hotel stay.
They have also paid for our cab rides to/from airport, hotel, and hospital. What an absolute blessing!