Clothes after operation

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Omar'smom

Clothes after operation

Post by Omar'smom »

Hi all,

My son 3 years old is going to have a muscle surgery (something similer to Mod Quad)and after he will use a kind of Statue of Liberty splint

i'm very confused about clothes he can use after splinting , how can he manage in this cold without jacket or .... and also we are going to fly back to our country for long period any suggestion for the plane to make the trip easier?!

Noha
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Clothes after operation

Post by F-Litz »

I bought cheap t-shirts for Maia that were 2 sizes larger and I painted them and decorated them so they would look special. I didn't have to cut anything or do anything else to them. It worked out fine.

For a coat (she had surgery in december) I bought stretchy fleece over shirt and another fleece jacket to go over that. Basically, I layered her in fleece rather than have a bulky coat. It worked well. And I made sure she had mittens on both hands - a mitten can go over the splint. I have a picture I can email you.

For the plane trip home I made sure I had extra clothes for her and me in case she vomited. I had extra wipes and I kept a bag open and ready just in case... I gave her pain medication one hour before the flight. I got a note from the doctor saying that she was NOT to be taken out of the splint, it was for surgery. I made sure she had a lot to drink - to keep her hydrated. And we stuck to crackers and dry things so she wouldn't get too sick to her stomach. I was able to book the flight when it was her naptime so she slept almost the whole way.

Hope the surgery goes well and Omar has a quick and easy recovery!
-francine
dtrusk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son, Tyler (15) has ROBPI. The nerves were stretched that affected C5,C6,& C7. He has full use of all fingers, but limited ROM. In 2009, he underwent Triangle Tilt surgery and repair for shoulder dislocation.

Post by dtrusk »

Noha....my son was about 4 when he had to wear the statue of liberty splint. I had some friends with older sons who gave us some of their out-grown clothes which were about a boys size 10-12. I think layering the clothes is smart rather than bother with bulky coats. You may have to roll the sleeves up a little on some stuff. Good Luck!
momto5

Post by momto5 »

My daughter is still in her cast (same as your son will have). She had surgery on the 18th of December. I fixed a couple of shirts with velcro on the side for her before surgery. However, she is small at 4 years old and thin too. She has been able to wear a lot of her regular clothes. We just put the casted arm in first then her head and non-casted arm. She also has a couple of jackets that still worked as well.

You might have a couple of bigger or modified things available but don't go overboard as he might be able to wear his regular clothes.

Cindy
Omar'smom

Post by Omar'smom »

Thanks all,I like the way of layering the clothes it seems easiar

Francine can you email me the picture for maia with the splint
dsk727

Post by dsk727 »

I bought a couple of bigger shirts and stretchy clothes for Jocelyn while she had her cast on. We lucked out and there was no bar on her cast from chest to arm so we didn't have to cut or velcro anything just buy big. We bought a really big (2 sizes too big) winter coat for her because her cast didn't come off until 12/2 and now it will be great for next winter. LOL

I wish him luck in his surgery!
Kaiden'smom

Post by Kaiden'smom »

We used zip up hoodies over my son's cast 2 sizes to big. We also jsut bought a coat 2 sizes to big and roll up the sleaved. It's works pretty well. We found it to hard to get clothes over my son's head with the cast on, he was only 11 months and still hated putting clothes over the head. OH, also we bought the coat after the cast was on to make sure it would fit and be able to zip over the cast.

Good luck.
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

Our daughter just had this done in Oct. 2007 .
One of the very sweet ladys here sent me some shirts she had made up to go on over her childs splint after surgey. They Worked GREAT, would be happy to pass them on to you if you want, they still look good. Just email me with your name & address. melanie_doss@yahoo.com
Angelina's mom (ROBPI)
Mitch90

Post by Mitch90 »

You could always try a poncho. Your child will not be able to use there arm any how.
Good Luck
Omar'smom

Post by Omar'smom »

Thank you so much i have alot of ideas now