Awareness Week Ideas

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
PeggyF

Awareness Week Ideas

Post by PeggyF »

Hey everyone! I was just curious as to what everyone will be doing during Awareness Week... trying to get more ideas, actually.
We are starting off on the first day with a potluck gathering and I am hoping to get everyone motivated to go through the week and continue to share their knowledge of BPIs and educate as many people as possible.
I know weekdays can be especially busy (they are for us) so if anyone has any helpful ideas, please share.

Thanks!
Peggy
mom to Emma, 12 year old ROBPI & Joel, 14 year old transient LOBPI WA State
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Awareness Week Ideas

Post by Carolyn J »

I am wearing all my identifible BPI Gear...Tee shirts and BPI pin on my LOBPI arm.That makes people ask questions so I can "Awareness-Educate" them. I wear all week!.

Peggy, I am sooo sorry & disaponted we haven't heard back from Gov. Gregoire!!

Carolyn J
LOBPI/adult
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

I know... every other year it has been as simple as requesting it with the paperwork...

Ssorry for the delay in replying; I'm sick :(
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

So this week I e-mailed all my family and friends in my contacts with all available brochures, I gave info to my hand Dr., I took info to the library in the children's section where they have resources for parents, and they want more. So I'm printing off more for them to keep.

And I'm not done yet.

This is fun! I like getting the word out there.

-Traci
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Post by Brenda333 »

We created an account on Facebook to help raise awareness.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 822&ref=nf
227 people signed up.
Come check us out.
Brachial Plexus Connection on Facebook
Brenda :)
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic