I asked for a state proclamation from the Governor of Massachusetts

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

I asked for a state proclamation from the Governor of Massachusetts

Post by richinma2005 »

And it was easy to do!

Hi Richard,

On behalf of Governor Patrick, thank you for your proclamation request. I have put your request in our queue and will touch base with you in September.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a great day,

Mary Kate

Boston, MA 02133
Office: 617-725-4005
Fax: 617-727-9725

Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:07 PM
To: Services, Constituent (GOV)
Subject: Proclamation Request

Dear Governor Patrick,

I am writing to request that you proclaim the week of October 19th-24th 2008 as Brachial Plexus Awareness Week in the state of Massachusetts. Your proclamation would be in conjunction with other cities, states and countries around the world to promote awareness of brachial plexus injuries.

Brachial plexus injuries often occur during the birthing process (Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Injury or OBPI). Availability of brachial plexus statistics vary widely, but the general consensus is that brachial plexus injuries occur in 2-5 out of 1000 births, yet information on this disability is not so readily obtained. Other causes of brachial plexus injuries include: vehicle accidents; sports injuries; animal bites; gunshot or puncture wounds; as a result of specific medical treatments or viral diseases. Adults who incur traumatic brachial plexus injuries often suffer from severe and chronic pain and struggle to find support, information and adequate medical care.

My daughter Kailyn suffered a brachial plexus injury at birth that resulted in paralysis of her left arm and hand. She underwent surgery at Boston Children's Hospital in Boston, MA and has continues to receive physical and occupational therapy 11 years later. There are many other children like my child throughout this state and in the world who will participate in awareness activities the week of October 19th-25th 2008.

The United Brachial Plexus Network is planning various activities across the country to promote awareness of these injuries during Awareness Week. Your proclamation of Awareness week will provide many others the knowledge that there is a place to receive the information they need.

Thank you for your attention in this matter, Governor Patrick. We would be honored to have your support.

Enclosed please find the format for the proclamation. Additionally here is a link to our Outreach magazine to give you an idea of our organization. This publication is mailed out to almost 4000 families: http://ubpn.org/SP2007.pdf

Sincerely,
Richard J. Looby
President of UBPN
Reading, MA 01867
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Re: I asked for a state proclimation from the Governor of Massachusetts

Post by Tanya in NY »

I sent in my request for NY State, today! Hopefully I'll have a great response from our Governor, David Paterson as he is well aware of what is like to live with a disability (he's legally blind). Thanks for the inspiration Rich.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: I asked for a state proclamation from the Governor of Massachusetts

Post by Kath »

Tanya
I read Rich's letter and thought I should get one off for NY. Glad to see you are on top of it. Let's hope he signs it.

Kath robpi/adult/NY
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Great letter! I will be sending one off for Missouri!

Rich, would you send me a copy of the proclamation format so that I can include it with my letter? stlbpi@yahoo.com

Message was edited by: mamaoftwo
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

http://ubpn.org/awareness/A2002proclamation.html

Proclamation format

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

OK! I called and got the proclamation request guidelines from the Governor's office and it was easy! They wanted it to be emailed, I emailed it, and now we wait! I will give an update when I hear from them.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Super Job!

It's easy and raises awareness! WHo is going to do it for their state next!!!

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Governors.shtml
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

I got Illinois, getting ready to work on it right now !!!
GAYLE
Zion, Illinois
JamieMarie'smommie

Post by JamieMarie'smommie »

I just sent an email to the gov of New Hampshire asking for one.

Amanda(mom to Jamie 3yrsold ROBPI in nh)
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Rich,
Can I copy and paste your letter to your governor and change as needed for our request to Illinois? I am feeling LAZY TODAY !!!

GAYLE