Need SSD apeal help

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Need SSD apeal help

Post by Kath »

I really was not give that choice.
They treated my injury as if I was newly injured.

Maybe if they see the extent of your injury they will understand.
Please don't forget to bring the new SSA policy information on brachial plexus injury.

Good Luck
Kath/robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Do the same qualifications work for people with TBPI?
SSDI is still determining if Dustin is disabled. They are trying to go off from his head injury. But, as I pointed out many times his completely limp left arm and difficulty in walking should be considered. Also the page I printed said "children" not sure if he qualifies as he is 19. "May" was used often also so I think it is not a guarantee. Sorry, know I am under the OBPI but you sound like you have some experience with this. Also does anyone know if there is a time frame in which they have to make the decision, we are at 11 mo. post accident and 10 mo. post applying.
Thanks,
Sue
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Christina,
I agree strongly with Kath. It would help alot for them to SEE you and see the extent of your injuries along with the SSDI Qualifactions papers in front of them too. I wish you the best for your Appeal process. Let us know when your appointment is and I'll "Storm Heaven" for you(that a verb...LOL)on that day.
HUGS)))),
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I WAS JUST LOOKING THROUGH AND I WAS DENIED MY SSD AND WENT THROUGH THE APPEAL AND SAW A JUDGE AND WAS STILL DENIED BUT I HAD A REALLY BAD LAWYER. WHAT IS THIS NEW SSA POLICY INFORMATION ON BRACHIAL PLEXUS INJURY AND HOW CAN I OBTAIN ONE? I AM ROBPI.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Hi Connie
Welcome to the Message Board.

Here is the link to the Policy change in the Blue Book.
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/POMS.NSF/lnx/0424580030

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Just read the policy to Dustins SS worker!!! Can you believe she says this is not the policy they use. This is not their outline!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

"Ptrefam",
These are FEDERAL SSD POLICY!! CHECK WITH YOUR SS WORKER'S SUPERVISOR,kiddo!!!
Let us know,follow-up,please.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

I know they are federal , that's why I don't even believe she said that. I am fighting with insurance, ss and it feels like everyone today. Venting here sorry.
Sue
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

I repeat,"Ptrefam",check with the Supervisor!.You are welcome to Vent anytime.
HUGS(very gently),
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

WOW, TO ERR is human to really screw things up requires....A) A COMPUTER B) the FEDERAL or STATE (FOR THAT MATTER) GOVERNMENT. GRRRRRRR.....this people make me angry. THANK YOU for letting me VENT.
Sue, Tell that case worked to GET A CLUE....and then demand to speak to her SUPERVISOR !!!! GAYLE