Had a really good pt session today.

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Had a really good pt session today.

Post by Kath »

What a great feeling. I am sure this made PT a good place for you for the first time in years. I am sure you will get some great help now.

If he has bpi from birth why do you call it trauma.
We were injured at birth from the trauma but they gave it the name Erb's Palsy. Was it an accident shortly after birth? Just being nosy.

I am so happy for you. I had a therapist use ART therapy on me. Active Release Therapy.... As about it I found it helped give me back some ROM.
Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

His actually happened in the hospital after he was born. He was dropped and the nurse caught him by one arm and of course his body twisted around and his arm stayed stationary. I guess since it didn't happen exactly during the birth but sometime during the hospital stay after he was born that's why he terms it trauma.

That method you used. I wonder if that's what he was doing with me. He said something about "occilations" I think. But it wasn't stretches it was kind of puting presure up and down in a circular motion on specific points in my arm. What ever it did it allowed me to move my arm further without pain.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Here is a link explaining about Active Release Therapy.
I loved it! I found great relief from it and better movement

http://www.activerelease.com/about.asp

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I am glad that you found someone that understands and one with first hand knowledge. Good luck with your therapy...
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Great news,Kissygoose!(name is escaping me at this moment..) I am soo happy for you that you've found someone "2-For"(PT & BPI). You DESERVE the Best, after your long long search with "bumps/curves" for help. Please keep us posted as to your progress,you lucky goose.
(((Hugs))) & Camp 2007 or Bust!,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
kissygoose

Had a really good pt session today.

Post by kissygoose »

It's really interesting that in 32 years I have never met another person with a BPI. And today I met someone who had a bpi since birth (but his was trauma induced) who had also never met another bpi patient. This person was my therapist. He gave me a bunch of great ideas for exercises for not only ROM but strength and fine motor. He also did some kind of massage that helped give me more over the head ROM without pain. He told me exactly what movements and abilities I was likely to get back and what I wouldn't. I felt for the first time that I was getting somewhere.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:23 am.