The DISTORTED truth

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanner's Mom

The DISTORTED truth

Post by Tanner's Mom »

Thanks to Rich! I am feeling a wee bit upset about a link he sent me this morning. What a great way to start my day! :) Seriously, I get so frustrated and DEEPLY saddened by all the convenient distortions of truth surrounding this birth injury. I had to take a few deep breaths while reading this. I need to vent about a few points, but if anyone wants to read the article/quiz, here is the link that Rich found.

https://e-edcredits.com/nursingcredits/ ... ?TestID=45

A few things stated by the author/doctor that I feel inclined to comment on....

“It is important to understand that most shoulder dystocia deliveries do not result in Erb’s palsy. Likewise, approximately half of the Erb’s palsies that are seen come from deliveries in which there was no shoulder dystocia. This is a fact that needs to be understood.” (I believe the fact that needs to be understood, is the fact that MANY babies are injured with brachial plexus injuries when there WAS a SD that was conveniently not documented. I also believe many babies are injured from so called "gentle" traction BEFORE a SD is even diagnosed.)

“It is now a truth that only about half of these brachial plexus injuries come from a delivery complicated by shoulder dystocia. The other half comes from deliveries in which NO shoulder dystocia occurred. This fact has now been demonstrated in numerous studies that total more than 2600 Erb’s palsies” (Again, is it really a TRUTH and has this fact been reliably demonstrated?)

“In conjunction with the large numbers seen in the table above, there are two other compelling facts that verify the issue that most brachial plexus injuries are not caused by the delivering healthcare provider. These are cesarean section and the posterior arm.” (MOST bpis are not caused by the healthcare provider. Hmmmmm........
Also, the c-section and posterior argument do come in handy, however, babies can still be yanked on and pulled out of small c-section incisions, in ways that can damage the plexus and yes, it happened to a friend of mine. And as far as the big posterior argument, it personally means little to me. Upward traction and certainly twisting the neck could potentially damage the plexus. We also know that sometimes injuries are conveniently documented as a "posterior" injury in an attempt to avoid litigation, even though the injury was actually to the anterior shoulder. So again, if we are relying on inaccurate records, we do not have the true information.)

"The posterior arm is the second compelling finding that verifies that the delivering healthcare provider does not cause most brachial plexus injuries." (still beg to differ on that one, not to say it isn't possible to have an injury not caused by the healthcare provider, but I am more interested in the rule versus the rare exception)

"The importance of this finding is that none of the maneuvers applied by the delivering healthcare provider will actually further stretch the nerves in a posterior arm injury." (Not even twisting and turning the head in both directions? And excessive upward traction, even during an anterior or bilateral dystocia, could never injure the posterior plexus?)

"The size and shape of the fetal shoulders may, however, affect how well the baby traverses the birth canal once the mother has dilated to complete (which is the second stage of labor)." (the baby would probably traverse much better if given all the space our bodies were designed to give it)

"However, from a simplistic point of view, there are 2 basic risk factors for shoulder dystocia and these are a baby that is too large for the mother’s birth canal (macrosomia, most commonly defined as > 4500 grams) or a mother’s pelvis that is too small or poorly shaped for the birth of the baby (non-macrosomic baby) or a combination of the two." (Okay, I am trying to maintain my composure here :).....the baby is too large for a birth canal that they may have closed due to traditional birth positioning? Or is it our pelvis which is 'too small or poorly shaped'. It always is about us, isn't it? Hmmmm....I think it is time to look at female anatomy and the biomechanics of the pelvis, positioning during pushing, moving into alternative positions during an SD, etc. Interesting, can't find any mention of that.)

Sorry if I seem a little spunky here. I just have a hard time with these distorted truths. It is just so sad to see the misinformation out there and to know that we are only perpetuating the cycle of birth injury.

Thanks for listening and letting me vent!

Lisa

Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: The DISTORTED truth

Post by Kath »

Lisa
Thanks for this message.

I don't consider your post a vent. I consider it a form of education. If a paper is published it does not mean it's the truth, as we all well know.

I am glad you posted. What misleading half truth's.

Documentation is only as good as those who are keeping track. I once asked my Mother "what time was I born" that's a simple questions.
She said that there was so much confusion in the room and rushing around that no one could look at the time... so since it was around midnight they put down the 10 but it could have been the 11 th of Nov.... wonder what was happening... I would love to know what was documented but a fire destroyed all the records from the hospital.

Kath

Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

I thought that article was awful, but this one at least seems to explain posterior injury more clearly

http://tinyurl.com/9vstd

Shoulder dystocia (SD) is one of the most
vexing problems in obstetrics. It complicates
about 1% of deliveries, so many of us won’t see
it often enough to feel confident in our ability to
manage it in an appropriate manner. SD occurs
most commonly when one of the fetal shoulders
becomes stuck on the symphysis pubis. A
shoulder can also become lodged behind the
sacrum, or rarely, behind both the symphysis
pubis and sacrum. The causes of SD are not
clear, but fortunately, the appropriate
management is the same, no matter where the
obstruction is

jeni

Post by jeni »

This article is *&@!%^&.......................
Can't even come up with a proper word. Think I need a few more deep breaths.

What blows me away is that they do these "reports" from medical records. Doctors don't even consider SD the same, so SD is not recorded the same, if at all!! (maybe if they started investingating this by interviewing us {moms and dads} they would get a better grip )(DREAMING I know)

I can't believe this is a continueing ed Test for nurses??!! AAARRRGGG

Jeni
mom to KD 31/2 LOBPI, Casey 6, and Sammie 10mths
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems almost criminal to teach misleading information like this.

One in particular (beyond ones already mentioned) that gets me is

"Likewise, nothing can be done to prevent the brachial plexus nerve injuries that occur in cesarean section births or deliveries with no shoulder dystocia.".

WOW. So many assumptions, and flat out inaccuracies in that statement. Not only is there an assumption that shoulder dystocia was accurately reported (or not reported in this case)...and I do believe these studies were thrown out in court for that very reason...BUT my gosh, are they saying that excessive traction either by the doctors own hands or by improper use of the vacuum or forceps is not possible? What dangerous waters that leads too..."hey, let's not report this as SD and then tug away folks...." What's to stop the dr's from controlling themselves on the use of vacuums and forceps, and being sure they use them properly, if no injuries can occur as long as its a c-section or no shoulder dystocia?

This is very dangerous teaching, and I can't imagine other professions being able to perpetuate such misinformation and call it teaching.