CBS 60 MINUTES Breakthrough: Robotic limbs moved by the mind

Questions, stories, victories and antidotes to everyday challenges of traumatic injuries.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

CBS 60 MINUTES Breakthrough: Robotic limbs moved by the mind

Post by Christopher »

ok... may be an off day and I'm tired, but this had me in tears.

CBS 60 MINUTES:

Breakthrough: Robotic limbs moved by the mind
June 2, 2013 4:00 PM
Humans can now move robotic limbs using only their thoughts and, in some cases, even get sensory feedback from their robotic hands. Scott Pelley reports.

WATCH:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148119n
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: CBS 60 MINUTES Breakthrough: Robotic limbs moved by the

Post by Carolyn J »

Me too, Christopher, (tears). Thank You for posting.
BTW, I believe all things are possible for our type of injuries in the future. Some of the next generation has some great minds and determination, I believe.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Last edited by Carolyn J on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

That is amassing and will do so much good to a lot of people and I have to add that I did get some tears of happiness at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Amputate arm or to sling?? :roll:
I am very glad that I robot arm are here :roll: It will help with amputations issues,
It is a very hard question.
I hate the pain in the shoulder area being jerk down and a swing arm of birth erbs and a torn deltoid in my once good arm driving a semi after 25 years.
Does a robot arm weigh alot :shock: :roll: Very many of us have intense pain in the shoulder a lot here use the sling to lesson the pulling in the shoulder in sports and activity, There are many post showing doing things with a sling ;)
Pain is a life long issue to all here to try a new pain treatment overtime.
If pain is the issue to have your arm taken off, Ask a doctor to deaden the nerves that hurt the most and can be repair latter, :roll: just thinking?? :shock: :roll:
I robot in a arm is out there to.
Very hard question,

Tom