Need somebody to share my experience with

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
shan.pratt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI 4/8/2013. Left arm 3 avulsed nerves C6-8 from moped accident in Mexico.

Re: Need somebody to share my experience with

Post by shan.pratt »

Hi Alex and all,

I will try to make a really long story short for the sake of the forum atmosphere. At the time of injury last April I had a severe humerus fracture with other injuries and fractures from being hit while on a moped. I had my fractures repaired in Denver, CO before and after my surgery the assumption was my arm was paralyzed from the a possible nerve stretch from my distal humerus fracture or wrist fracture. Because my arm was in a sling and cast no one realized my arm as paralyzed from the shoulder down. During my PT we realized my shoulder sagged out of socket. At that point I went for an MRI that showed possible avulsions. At that point my orthopedic surgeon emailed colleagues all over the country whom all suggested the Mayo clinic. My first visit was 4 months post injury at there planning. At that point I was only able to move my thumb and pointer....nothing else. When they assessed my arm they were leaning toward the diagnoses of not avulsions but stretching and tears of the posterior cord because I had some function (according to an emg) that did not make sense with avulsions. I left home with the plan to return for surgery at my 6 month mark (which is the timing that they recommend for repair). At 5 months I had some bicep back.When I returned to Rochester for surgery they had me get a CT myelogram (this is what the mayo said is the only way they determine for sure if the nerves are avulsed).To their surprise and mine I had 3 avulsed nerves C6,7,8. At that point they decided to cancel my surgery. They told me that because they were avulsed they could not give me more function than I already had. I currently have approx 30% bicep, wrist flection, supination, pronation of wrist, infraspinatus nothing is or will be back to 100%. The mayo said I would not get triceps, wrist extension or pecs back but hopefully I would get some function of my deltoid. I have up to 2 years to get back function and whatever pain I have at that point will likely be permanent. The future plan would be to get tendon transfers for wrist extension and some triceps. To my surprise I recently was able to left my wrist from flexion to straight up....I hope that this means I am getting back extension.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Need somebody to share my experience with

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

What a quest to find that surgery or treatment :roll:
The more post like this that outline possible outcomes are Very important for this quest :shock: ;)
What is not helpful is when doctor tells you that your arm and hand with birth erbs in the 50s will never get better and there was no help at all for me, I was 10 :shock:
When a doctor ever tells you there is no further help and you will have to just live with it :shock:
Find another doctor, overtime there has been so many new treatments . Period ;)
The challenge is finding and picking , something that will increase of movement.
Less :shock: you believe in the doctors statement and comments about outcomes, the emotionally better you will be :shock: ;)
There are so many post saying the something of there outcomes ;) :D
Just thinking :shock: :roll:
Tom