World Open One Armed Golf Championship!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Re: World Open One Armed Golf Championship!

Post by bill de brooklyn »

BRAVO!
onepaw

Post by onepaw »

That is excellent!! Any hope of the video?
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Fred4545 wrote:
Can I ask how much mobility/control you have with the BPI arm? All I have is my bicep, so basically none.

Also, you were obviously a talented player before...how long did it take for you to get back in the game, and did you take any lessons or just go to the range and start with the basics? Yes, I was a 3 at the age of 17 before and was going to play college. It took me very little time as far as months, took me tons of practice, which I did as I was in college right after I got hurt, so I had a decent amount of time to practice. I didn't take many lessons, I have taken lessons and worked with/played with lots of pro's and basically my goal is to swing the club on the same swing path an anybody with two arms.

Do you have any shoulder instability and pain in your BPI arm from playing and swinging that hard? No, I always like more movement in my arm, keeps the joints loose and flexible.

Also, do you use any wrist brace or stability device for your "good" arm? Nope, been swinging with one arm along with tons of other sports and activities for 26 years, no issues yet.

Jeff

Hope that helps and I am sure you will be out there soon,
Dan
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

onepaw wrote:That is excellent!! Any hope of the video?
I have a good video of me before the tournament with a good shot of my swing, I wanted to analyze it, so I have that. I also have a few good swings from other competitors, I have video of the two guys in the finals, one swings forehanded the other swings backhanded, you won't see better one armed swings than the two of them. Unfortunatly, I can't load them here, I will need to load them somewhere else and then provide a link. Plus, the ones of the other guys is sideways and I need to figure out how to rotate them.
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

I am going to do a full wrap up with pictures and videos for a blog I am starting, as soon as I do I will post a link here.

The week in St Andrews was amazing, got to play eight rounds of golf in seven days, all of them on the different (there are five chamionship and one shorter courses) courses at St Andrews. It was an amazing week, got to play with 71 other guys from all over the world will all different types of arm injuries. There was some great golf beign played, the best being a guy who shot a 74 on the Old Course. The final had some great golf too, the wind was howling and the two guys in the final were playing great golf.

Other than the obvious of getting to play the Old Course, which is a dream come true and a round I will never forget. I also hit some amazing shots, the two best were my first and my last. I smoked a drive right down the middle on the first hole, it is a 355 yrd hole and I only had 75 yrds left to the pin, (yes that was a 280 yrd drive) hit a sw right at it and ended up about 15ft long, left the birdie put on the lip. The 1st and 18th are one huge fairway, on the 18th, I aimed in the middle of the two and then pulled my drive way left, almost to the other side of the 1st fairway, but it is ok and a wide open shot to the pin. I was 190 yrds away, up hill and into the wind, so about a 210-215 yrd shot. I ripped a 4 wood right at it, never left the pin and ended up 4 feet away!!!!!!!! Made the putt for a birdie on the 18th at the Old Course, best shot of my life.

Here is a picture of me right before I teed off on the 18th, doesn't get much better than that!
Attachments
St Andrews - 18th - 4th of July - Teeing Off.jpg
St Andrews - 18th - 4th of July - Teeing Off.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Here are a few more, this is me handing my 4 wood back t my caddy with a huge smile on my face and how cool is it that he is already handing me my putter. I know nobody else can see it, but I can see my ball just left of the pin:)
Attachments
St Andrews - 18th - 4th of July - Second Shot.jpg
St Andrews - 18th - 4th of July - Second Shot.jpg (343.64 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Had to show the birdie put, you can see the ball just about to go in the cup. Wow! Even got a nice round of applause from the people surrounding the green.
Attachments
St Andrews - 18th - 4th of July - Birdie Putt.jpg
St Andrews - 18th - 4th of July - Birdie Putt.jpg (82.36 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Here is my drive on the first hole, looks a little funny, but that is because the picture was taken from behind me rather than down the line.
Attachments
Drive.jpg
Drive.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Fabulous pictures AND effort, Dan!
It was soo uplifting to meet you at Camp this week. I love the kidding you and Jack did of me.
I do hope you come to play golf at Chambers Bay ,University Place WA, I'd love to watch you play.
HUGGZ,
gramma Carolyn J :D 8-)
LOBPI/74

ps...Paul, not Jack LOL :oops: ;)
Last edited by Carolyn J on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred4545
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 48 yr male with BPI from auto accident on 8/07/11. Suspected C5-T1 avulsion from early EMG but recently have flexed bicep. Had many serious and life-threatening injuries to deal with first, but am now doing much better. Just had nerve transfer surgery at Mayo by Dr. Skinner to reinnervate deltoid and tricep. Once this is working, we will move on to nerve/muscle transfer for dealing with my hand.

Post by Fred4545 »

Congrats Dan...such an amazing experience and those pictures are so awesome. I can hear your sense of passion and excitement come thru in your words describing your play on the 18th...and to knock that 4wood and get a birdie is a memory of a lifetime. I'm so happy for you.

Did you pause and take a picture on the top of the bridge on 18 (like Nicklaus)?