TBPI... Is this a "learning experience"?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

TBPI... Is this a "learning experience"?

Post by Christopher »

My pain is nasty today! (storm front coming in)

...and when it's like this I have to try and get my head screwed on straight and embrace this all as a lesson that I'll benefit from. A lesson that I'll learn better from than if I didn't have something this constant and nagging eating away at me. I try and turn it around into a "gift" of sorts that will have its rewards. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but years of practice down the road (its already been 9 years come December).

Between stimulus (what happens to us) and response (how we react) there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
~Viktor E. Frankl

I try and embrace this notion, to become a better man, a better person. For my self and all those I meet. If you haven't read Viktor Frankl's book "Man's Search for Meaning", I highly recommend it. It's extraordinary. I've read it over 10 times over the years. I'm sure I will 10 more if I live another 40 years. Frankl was a psychologist that lived through 3 years in a Nazi Concentration camp during WWII. The short (100 pages) book is about the character traits and frame of mind that enabled people to survive that experience (if possible), or not.

What has your TBPI taught you that's made you a better person (and how)?
Or what are you in the process of learning because of it?

There has to be some greatness out there to share, cough it up! ;)

Thanks,
Christopher
Last edited by Christopher on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: TBPI... Is this a "learning experience?"

Post by jmar »

i have learned that my injury is not who i am. it does not define me. i have to do the best i can in life, if not, i will be defeated by some stupid injury. i have learned to adapt to things the way they are NOW and give up the notion that anything will be like it was before. (but i must keep trying to make it better.) it might come close for some of us. and some of us will never regain anything. you MUST accept your injury and go on with life. BE YOUR BEST SELF, NO MATTER WHAT... the pain will get better, just hang in there.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: TBPI... Is this a "learning experience"?

Post by AngelaW »

I like the person I've become since the accident. I feel like going through such hardships acted sort of like a distillation process where now I feel like I'm really "Me." without all the extra debris, if that makes sense.
I hope your pain gets better; a good book is just as comforting as an old friend. :)
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

I have spent lots of time talking to Chris, hanging out, so I am replying not for him but for others checking this thread. Also, this could be a book for me, maybe not 100 pages, but I could get close, so I am going to give one or two now and maybe come back later to add more.

After 25 years, I have lived more years with my injury than without, so many of the things I could say about what I have learned because of my injury could really be attributed to me just growing up and gaining wisdom.

But there is something specific I know I have learned because of my injury and I just gave a talk on it last week to a group as the keynote speaker and that is the ability to influence others because of my injury.

I have spoken to thousands of high school students over the years about overcoming lifes challenges. I start my talks discussing the idea that challenges will happen in our life and that the issue is not that "bad" things happen, but how you respond to those challenges and ultimatly you have two choices, 1- become a victim to the issue or 2- find the way to overcome and find Joy in your life today, no matter the circumstance.

As anyone who has spoken to high school kids knows, their attention to anything you are saying is low and that holds true with the beginning of my talk, but as soon as I transition to why I am sharing this info is because I permanetly paralyzed my arm, I have their undevided attention and I do make a difference in some of their lives.

It is not just with my public speaking, it is with most people I come in contact with, I have the ability to influence them in a possitive way and help them overcome things in their life. So I would encourage all of us with this injury, be aware that you have the ability to help others and make a differnce in their lives.

So if I can stay on "theme", "how has my injury made me a better person",
It has made me so aware of the "gift" I have been given to help others and that change in focus from how can I benefit myself to how can I benefit others, has made me a better person!

Great topic Chris,

Dan
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Well said. :)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

You guys are truly Awesome and inspire me sooo much, as well as teach me alot!
HUGGZ to you all,
Caroln J
LOBPI/73+
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Agreed! Well said everyone!
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

My Tbpi is a constant reminder that there are no guarantees, so I have to live life fully today! Some days are harder ( when the pain gets to me) but it just makes me that much more determined when I get past it.

I think I'm a much stronger person than I would have ever been if this hadn't happened to me-- or at least I wouldn't have known I was this strong:)
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

Gosh, every moment in life is a learning experience and TBPI is no exception. Although it's Rick who has the injury, I, too, have learned so much from this journey, as it has not only affected him, but our whole family.

I have learned so much on so many different levels. I have learned as much as I can about his injury in a physical sense - from doctors, the internet, here. I have learned to advocate for his needs, to be a caregiver, to be patient, to be loving, to be empathetic, to be supportive, to be a listener, to be an encourager, to be an angel (as Rick so lovingly calls me). But, most of all, I have learned that Rick is a warrior. He is the strongest man I know, to deal with his injury each and every day, to endure the pain that he does, to have to give up his career and to find a new purpose in life, to wake up every morning and be thankful even when he could find reasons to not be thankful......

Everything happens for a reason, including TBPI. In spite of all we have gone through and will go through, this injury has blessed our lives in many, many more ways! And, we are thankful for those blessings!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

AMEN, Chimely!! Merry Christmas
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+