Explaining injury to children

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AimeeMorera01
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My husband was in a motorcycle accident on 9/30/2009, that left him with dysautonomia, back pain from spine injuries, and brachial plexus injury to the right arm. Currently under the care of Dr. Thomas Tung, St. Louis, MO and Dr. Roberto A. Mikki, Miami, Florida.

Explaining injury to children

Post by AimeeMorera01 »

Hello, just wondering how other parents explain the injury to their curious children. Most times we tell children that my husband broke his arm, but what do you tell your own children. My oldest son is four, and we are very close to neice 5 and twin nephews 3, and they all ask how it hapened. We do not want them to be scared but they realize that husband has a boo boo. They ask about all the scars from the surgeries.

Today is two years since accident, so I have a lot of wondering thoughts going through me.
*~Aimee~*
BeckyandChris
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA on March 7, 2007
amputation of left forearm with reimplantation
broken humerous, abdominal bleeding, broken femur, blown out left knee
months later and with no arm recovery, bracial plexus confirmed
Nerve avulsions at the C-7, C-8, and T-1 level
Horners syndrome
Autonomic dysfunction
TONS of pain- no feeling from above the elbow down
Had nerve transfer done, can bend elbow to 90 degress now
Still TONS of pain- no feeling
No hand function- its frozen in a claw shape

Re: Explaining injury to children

Post by BeckyandChris »

My husband was so creative. Right away he told the kids it was his monkey arm. And that is why it doesnt work right and will be his monkey forever. The kids took to that well. they were(9,5,15 months when the accident happened)They often talk about his monkey and ask him if his monkey hurts today. I also think it separated the scary injury from their dad that they always had and that he is still the same dad, just with a monkey arm :D Hope that helps.
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Re: Explaining injury to children

Post by Dan »

Hi,

My children are 6 and 4, my neices are 12, 9 and 7. Since I have had my injury for 25 years, all they know is Daddy or Uncle Dan an arm that doesn't work. I just asked my daughter who is 6 what she calls it and she said your dead arm Dad because it doesn't work. We have always just told them the truth and they understand, just part of life.

I have even told them the truth about how it happened, I fell water ski racing. The issue about that is water skiing/boating is a big part of our lives. I still water ski and both my kids are water skiing now too. They understand that I was going really fast when I fell and I don't ski that fast anymore and we won't pull them that fast either, so they are ok with it.

Hope that helps,
Dan