fatigue of good arm

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

fatigue of good arm

Post by hilltopfwb »

I am wondering if anyone experiences arm fatigue of the good arm that you have. I have always feared it but over the past two years I have not experienced it.

I decided 5 weeks ago to take up jogging with a friend. (couch to 5k). I have to use my good arm to kind of "hold" the other arm...actually locking fingers as I jog. At the end of the work out now - my arm feels fatigued.

Just curious of other's take on this.

Thanks

Jeff
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Re: fatigue of good arm

Post by Dan »

Hi Jeff,

25 years since my injury and I pulled all five out, so basically no use of the arm except bicep. I have done everything with my arm, moved myself and a bunch of friends more times than I can count (for a while another buddy and I referred to ourselves as "three arms will move you") I golf regularly, do triathlons, water ski, and the list goes on. What I am sayiong is I haven't been easy on the good arm, more like I have used the heck out of it. I am 43 and don't have any fatigue. Can't say what will happen going forward, but my attitude has been and continues to be I will experience Joy in my life today. For me, that means some level of activity a majority of the time.

I know I am Blessed and can't speak for anybody else, but for me, no issues yet.

As far as jogging, lets get you set up with one of the slings for athletics. You will enjoy running so much more and will also make it easier. Hopefully somebody that has a sling already can comment and it won't just be the guy who makes them suggesting it:) By the way, not a business for me, all I do is cover my costs.

Glad to hear you are getting athletic again, I always think it helps people move forward living with this injury.

Dan
hilltopfwb wrote:I am wondering if anyone experiences arm fatigue of the good arm that you have. I have always feared it but over the past two years I have not experienced it.

I decided 5 weeks ago to take up jogging with a friend. (couch to 5k). I have to use my good arm to kind of "hold" the other arm...actually locking fingers as I jog. At the end of the work out now - my arm feels fatigued.

Just curious of other's take on this.

Thanks

Jeff
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Thanks for your reply Dan....what do I do to get set up with the sling. I am definitely interested!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Wow, :shock: Getting on with your life is always a challenge and fatigue does happen to some for sure, but I never had Fatigue issues just a tree trunk of a good arm :shock: . It makes me happy :D to see so many doing so much with so little like me or getting the right surgeries for there needs which is a Challenge base on doctors ability to. What ever you do or do not get in use back, remember to use your limitation to help your good arm the best you can and that will help the stress on your good arm. You see it in so many post here and you and others will learn new ways of doing things a :idea: of ways to adapt do happen over a life time thats real TO no matter what your left with in use :shock: :D I speak from a experience of a life time with none treated ERBS :shock: If there is a will there sometimes a way :roll: or a way you find to adapt :D There is much to be said for trying because you never fail by doing so ;) I think , I should add this . You can play What IFS :roll: and focus on your limitations or over use possibility, but that just ends up making more Depression :evil: OR you can find joy :D in what you can find ways to do things in-spite of your limitation and pain :D or over use issues in some because that true to. :shock:
Tom
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Hi Jeff,

I can vouch for one of those slings - I have 3 and have done a bunch of road racing and multisport races in them. If you search for posts by me or "athletic arm sling" you'll likely find pictures of it. It basically allowed me to get back to sports within about 6 months of my injury. There are also some good topics around how to get your bike set up to ride with one hand.

As for the overuse, I share your concerns. It's only been 2.5 years since my injury and I don't have anything, but I do find that certain activities do increase fatigue, like a lot of typing, knife work in the kitchen, etc. While I hope I'm as resilient as Dan, I do try to make sure I give my arm and hand some breaks, lest I start typing with poor form if I'm tired or something like that. I completely agree with Dan on his approach to life and not letting yourself be limited.

MW
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Post by thebrain »

I do the bit where I hold my bad arm with the good as well, but only when up not doing much active - walking around downtown, out to dinner, etc. I don't like wearing a sling in those kind of situations. But I can't imagine doing it while running, I'm sure my good arm would be incredibly fatigued, plus probably wouldn't do a great job, and besides, I would think you'd want your good arm free to help your balance and movement.

I have one of Dan's slings, which I have used for snowboarding, hiking, and ultimate frisbee. I don't run on hard surfaces anymore - two ankle surgeries, prior to my BP (where is my robot body? I'm ready for it...) but I can recommend the sling design to you, it's solid.
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

hilltopfwb wrote:Thanks for your reply Dan....what do I do to get set up with the sling. I am definitely interested!
Here is the forum link to the sling info. All the measurement requirements are listed and my contact info.

http://ubpn.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18806

Thanks Mike and I think Brian "thebrain" Two guys that are back at life, I know Mike does a ton of running and is getting into triathlons, always appreciate you guys sharing all the activities you are doing.

Dan
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Post by thebrain »

yes, that is my name :)

it used to get misspelled in email and chats ALL THE TiME back when the internet was new and exciting, somehow with time people got more careful. Also, independently, I worked with a couple deaf characters (and several other brians) and that was their nickname for me as well. Destiny!
sfcash
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Nov. 28, 2009 - I was thrown from the suv; C2 vertebrae was crushed and right arm was completely evulsed. I have had a nerve transfer as well as a muscle transfer; I'm awaiting results.

Post by sfcash »

Get the sling from Dan, soooo awesome! I'm also working through couch to 5k. As far as fatigue in my good arm, I'm not sure what's going on but my thumb and first two fingers are numb and there are times it extends to my elbow. When I'm really cold my hand doesn't work all that well. I haven't been to the dr about the numbness yet so I don't know what's going on. It's just that each case is different and the nerves are a funny, strange mystery. But get the sling and good luck running!