Motorcycle

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
twatson603

Motorcycle

Post by twatson603 »

I read in a previous post, "Where there is a will, there is a way." True to the last word. At 23, there haven’t been many activities that I have been precluded from because of my injury. One challenge that I have been contemplating since maybe 16 is learning to ride a motorcycle. With limited strength in my left hand it poses a big problem to be able to depress the clutch.

Has anyone else had the same itch to ride with the wind? What kind of work around have you engineered or came across?
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Motorcycle

Post by Kath »

Try posting this question on the TBPI board. Many tbpi injured were bikers and have gone back to riding. They probably would be able to help you with the technical information you need to ride.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

There are lots of one handed riders out there, I researched it as well. And there are suggestions on how to modify a motorcycle as well.

Here's one U.S. site with a forum for suggestions.
http://www.disabledriders.com/

Here's a UK site which I'm sure will help as well.
http://www.nabd.org.uk/

This page actually has the adaptations for BP injuries listed.
http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/javaindex.htm

Years ago, I found a very nice guy who gave me suggestions and said when I needed more help let him know, but due to the cost I've put off my dream. I haven't given up on it, just put it off a little longer.

hope this helps, Enjoy! And let me know how you make out. I think my motivation for wanting to have my own motorcycle is the same as you, it's not something I should be able to manage doing, so I want to. And I know my husband will get back into it one day and I'd love to join him on my own.

-Traci
gooftwo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c4,5,6,7 and t1 all avulsed,no left arm movement and fingers twich but no control.Had left arm removed at the shoulder.

Post by gooftwo »

you can make any bike an automatic just got to change the clutch,but yamaha makes an fjr 1300 that weighs about 640 pounds that comes auto .honda just came out with a brand new vfr thats auto also but it has alot of horsepower for a new rider .find someone with an old honda ct 70 that would be easy to start with. i think i'm going for fjr when i get my arm cut off.guess i'll have to do something with that sleve.just look around go to a few bike shops and ask people someone will let you crash their bike .gooftwo
twatson603

Post by twatson603 »

Thank you for the responses.
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

I drive a motorcycle that has gears but no clutch. It's a Honda C70 Passport. Granted it's more like a "scooter" because it doesn't have a bagillion CCs, but it's my source for getting around San Francisco. If you aren't looking for major speed I'd highly recommend getting one. Apparently they are "in style" at the moment.
stcrx

Post by stcrx »

I just bought a moped. It's an automatic, and it's 200 cc's. Top speed is about 100. So far I can handle it pretty well. My right arm is my 'bad' arm, but the scooter is Italian, so the rear break is on the left. Perfect, for me! I'm learning! I almost knocked it over while getting off of it to put it on the kickstand. It weighs about 300lbs... but all the weight is in the bottom, so I was able to use leverage and push it back up before it hit the ground. I felt so proud of myself!
~'Cuz life's like a jump rope~
Please view http://www.rarereflections.weebly.com to see my photography. Photography and writing are kind of my life.
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

Yeah, a scooter is definitely a great alternative to a motorcycle!
nysbadmk8
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, Resulting From a moderate Erb's Palsy, No surgical intervention, 3/20/1984

Post by nysbadmk8 »

You will have to learn to adjust... Most later model sport bikes you can shift without using the clutch, I only clutch 1st gear and the rest is done via engine loading and unloading with trottle control.

Anything is possible when you put your mind to it. This is me riding a GSXR 1000 on Njmp with Nesba Intermediate Group.

Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

Awesome and welcome to the forums! What's your name? I should post pics on my 72cc hog :)