What to wear...

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
icesideprophet
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Re: What to wear...

Post by icesideprophet »

I've been approached twice by strangers, but both times they knew it was OBPI. Once i was on vacation walking on the beach and a girl about the same age as I was then yelled over to me and asked about my arm because she had OBPI too. Neither of us had ever met anyone else with it before.
The second time I was in Lowe's shopping and another customer flagged me down and asked if i knew about new surgeries that were available.

I think my point is that you recognize the differences in how you might do things if you have OBPI where another person wouldn't notice anything, much less view it as a negative thing.
janny

Post by janny »

Awww i used to be like you guys, wearing clothes to hide my battle scars lol.
Now i wear what i want!!! Strappy tops, halternecks, nothing is a no-go!!
You know what? Most folks wont even notice your arm ... and if they do, 95% of them wont even care lol
Since my surgery i only have half of my Erbs shoulder, and its covered in deep, wide scars. I wear strappy tops all the time and have NEVER been approached and asked about it, nor has anyone ever ran screaming in the opposite direction LOL
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks for sharing that, Janny! I was surprised to find out how little people paid attention to me & what I looked like. It is mostly all in our own head & that's why I say we are our worst enemy.

Carolyn J
LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

I know that U an ibky the nother of a son with OBPI but I wiuld like to say that it is so true that people do not notice BPI that much, most people notice an inability to do something the way they do it. My son is 11 and he played baseball for the first time this year. When he was in the outfield the kids would yell at him to leave his mitt on and throw. Well he couldn't because he is lefty but cannot put the mitt on his right. So he catches with this left and pitches the mitt and throws with his left, but only in the outfield. After the practice he told his teamates about his injury and that he does things different than they do. He was laughing when they came up closer to look at his arm and see what was different. He said that they treated him like the bionic man. They didn't get it. To those that know, it is a big deal, but otherwise, I do not believe that people really look !!! People are mean, I know, but ditch the hoodies, Brandon tried that too, but when it got hot I hid them. Be proud and be honest, if they ask tell them, they are interested and you have no reason to be self conscience. It is funny how I look at pictures that I see in the OUTREACH with people with bpi and I always have to look twice to see which arm. Shead the hoodies, you will be glad that you did !!!
Gayle
mom of Brandon 11 ROPBI
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I like pitching in the 50s with erbs of the left. Check out web sights for one arm base ball players.

Best wishes and trys,

Tom
lynk

Post by lynk »

I've had a BPI since birth (I'm 19 now) and I just never really cared. People don't notice it at all (and if they do, they are staring way to hard) Just throw on a T-shirt and be happy. Don't let something like that worry you.
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

This may sound strange but I say don't hide it, show it off if anything else.
You are a hero. What you go through everyday are challenges far too great for others to even understand.
I've challenged all my friends and family to keep one arm tied behind their back for a day. Nobody took me up on it needless to say. Oh they all pretended to do it earnestly for awhile, they all end up laughing it off with quite the nervous laugh I might add. Then it's over.
Here's a tip for you. If you are still concerned about how you look like for a date or something try wearing a sling or a brace. When you are approached be proud that you've carried this thing for so long and we are all waiting for stem cell research to set us free.
I wish you the very best Andrew.
Scott