Got a denial from SSD ....now what

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: Got a denial from SSD ....now what

Post by cbe411 »

Get a contingent attorney, I think thats what they are called. They DO NOT get any money unless you win, and then they get a percentage of your retro monies... thats how I did mine and it worked out great! I hated giving him ANY money but it had to be done, I was denied twice! APPEAL!!

Courtney (TBPI)
Andrea53

Post by Andrea53 »

Do not give up.lawyers are always taking contingency cases.You can find one in the yellow pages or on t.v.It's hard but keep going.It's been a long time ago for me,but I think under the new guidelines,they have to use pain as a part of the disability not seperately.It may be a tough road but keep going.I'll be praying for you.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Christina I am praying for you Big Time!! Keep fighting the Good Fight, we are with you. Please continue to give us updates as you go each step. It helps us all and particularly those who come behind you. I FIRMLY believe that you are going to be successfull in this challenge to recieve your deserving SSD.
HUgs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I WAS TRYING FOR MY SSD FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS,I WAS DENIED,I APPEALED,GOT A LAWYER,WENT TO A JUDGE,HE DENIED ME,DID SOME MORE APPEALING, GOT THE RIGHT TO START OVER AGAIN,AND I WAS DENIED.EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A DOCTOR WHO STATED MY RIGHT ARM IS 100 PERCENT DISABLED I WAS STILL DENIED.MY LAWYER THEN TELLS ME I WILL PROBABLY NEVER GET SSD.SO NOW I HAVE NO LAWYER NO SSD,I AM CONFUSED AND DEPRESSED.I JUST HOPE YOU CAN FIND A REALLY GOOD LAWYER,MINE WAS CRAPPY FROM THE BEGINNG.AND WHEN I STARTED FOR SSD I HAD ENOUGH QUARTERS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR IT,NOW SINCE I HAVE WASTED 3 YEARS I DONT HAVE ANY QUARTERS TO RECIEVE ANY SSD UNLESS I GO TO WORK TO BUILD MY QUARTERS BACK UP.

SORRY TO BE SUCH A DOWNER JUST DIDNT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO GET SCREWED KIE I DID :)
kissygoose

Got a denial from SSD ....now what

Post by kissygoose »

Ok so I got my denial from SSD. Basically they told me pain isn't an issue and that from their reports I can still do my old job.

Anyway, I called my advocate through the state and he said to file an apeal then call him. He also said I would have to go before a judge and have a lawyer. I have no idea how I'm going to afford a lawyer or even where to look for one. I'm also concerned about what is going to happen at the hearing. Any advice would be most appreciated.
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by ASC »

Hi Christina:

SSD is known for denials. I used a company called ALLSUP. They required 25% of my first check, if I won, and 0 (zero) if I lost. I WON on my appeal...so do not give up!

Tony/ASC
ROBPI/Adult
"Just One More Step"