Empowered by a ... sling?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
cduggan

Empowered by a ... sling?

Post by cduggan »

(Sorry about the multiple message board postings--I just want to be sure to reach parents out there! I wish I would have had the sling as a child.)

I'm posting for 2 reasons: first, a line of encouragement to any reader who has BPI (or has a child with BPI) and has never been able to be physically active. Consider buying the athletic sling discussed on this website! I don’t think you’ll be sorry.

I am a 43 year old woman who suffered my injury during the birthing process. I’ve never known what it is like to have two arms, exercise or play sports. Over the years, I occasionally would wish I could run or rein my horses with two hands. I tried to wear an old shoulder sling that we had around the house, and secretly go down a dirt road to find a place to run where no one would ever see my arm flailing about. But it hurt my neck and back and jarred my shoulder. In the end, I’d just take a deep breath and think: “That was that. There’s no use crying over spilled milk.”

This past fall, on a complete whim one afternoon while avoiding work at my desk, I ran across this site and read about people with my injury who were . . . running?! I was a bit skeptical but I asked for a sling for Christmas (2012) and have been running!! I LOVE IT! For the first time in my life, I can pump my arms (mostly ;) ) when running and not worry about injuring my arm or wrist. It’s only been 5 weeks, but there’s a part of me that is alive now that wasn’t before. I’m experiencing the joy of exercise and benefits of running for the first time in 43 years! I don’t think of myself as handicapped, so a few times I’ve caught myself thinking, “why, oh why didn’t I take up running before now?” and then I remember, “The sling. I could never do this before I had the sling.”

Which brings me to my second reason for writing, which is a sincere “thank you” to Dan for pushing forward to design it and let others know about it, and caring enough to follow up. To date, Dan is the first and only person with a brachial plexus injury I’ve ever known, emailed or spoken with. So to Dan I say “You are special person. Thank you for what you’re doing, and I WILL let you know when I run my first 5K!” :D
claudias
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom to Juliana. Born in 1999. LOBPI c-4 thru c-8 injury.

Re: Empowered by a ... sling?

Post by claudias »

I have to second this notion.
My daughter is a competitive tennis player. Part of being competitive at her level is training. And that includes running. She met Dan at ubpnCamp and was wowed by him and his sling. We ordered one and she can run now! She doesn't love running ( partially paralyzed diaphragm means lots of metered breathing), but she does it without pain now! And, it is a handy place for her phone!!!

thanks Dan!

claudia
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

can you post the link to the sling? thanks :)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Cduggan, thank you for this post.
Fran, the link is on the TBPI Forum. It was GREAT to meet Dan and Paul Frietak at Camp 2012!!!! Dan demonstrated his 1 handed shoe tie-ing skill for us. All the teens were in awe of his skills!
FYI, everyone is welcome on any message board. I learn sooo much about pain management from there.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

F-Litz wrote:can you post the link to the sling? thanks :)
http://ubpn.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18806

Let me know if you have any questions,
Dan