Cincinnati 3 months later

Friends, parents and relatives: do you know someone living with a brachial plexus injury and would like to share your experience? Post here!
finnsgma

Cincinnati 3 months later

Post by finnsgma »

Finnley has come a long way and is actually crawling despite her LOBPI. However, she is still limited in ROM and holds her elbow bent with her arm in toward her chest alot. Because of this she is still very tight. The doctors did decide to do botox in three muscles and put her in a night cast to stretch her muscles.
Here is the explanation of why we did what we did and what we are trying to avoid: we injected the 3 muscles to weaken them to allow for better range of motion and for therapy to work the back muscle (the infraspinatos) better. Also by keeping the dominant muscles loose this allows the shoulder to develop in the right location due to all the muscles exerting the same balance of power, so to speak. We are trying to avoid surgery because if the infraspinatus (active external rotation) does not strengthen to a point of balance with internal rotators, the bone will grow incorrectly and potentially dislocate (worst case scenario). If the infraspinatus does not work well, tendon transfers of the Latissimus and Teres Major are need to become the active motors for external rotation instead (moved from being an internal rotator to external rotator).
We go back in six weeks for a new cast and then 6 weeks for another indepth eval to see if the botox helped.
I guess I'll be updating again in 6-12 weeks.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Cincinnati 3 months later

Post by Carolyn J »

Good news! Best wishes for you and Finnley. *Heart*
"gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/76
Cassy11
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus injury

Re: Cincinnati 3 months later

Post by Cassy11 »

Thank you for sharing your story, but there were no updates for almost a year. Could you please let us know how is it going now?
Have some rest and buy essay online here!