four years after injury

Are you living with an injury that you received later in life and would like to share your experience? Post here!
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

four years after injury

Post by jmar »

it has been four years since my injury. I have no pain any more but the other effects are very annoying. sometimes I do not feel heat at all. I could actually lay my arm on a hot stove and not know it. but then again just a few minutes later my arm is very heat sensitive. as far as cold goes if I was to close my eyes and someone put an ice cube on my arm I would be able to tell there is something cold on my arm but I have no idea where on my arm the ice cube is at. I feel the cold from fingertip to shoulder. that goes for any time I lay my arm on a cold table also. that remains the same. but the cold sensation seems to be getting less intense. maybe that will go away eventually. I just have to be careful about where I put my arm.

the weakness and partial paralysis is a pain sometimes but I manage to do whatever I want to do. I can bend my fingers to make a soft fist but cannot move them side to side.

I have gotten almost full range of motion back in my shoulder and elbow and wrist. but the weakness is annoying at times. but I am more stubborn than the weakness. I will find a way to do whatever I want to do. the stamina in my arm is not that great but I can take breaks. then keep going.

WOW JUST REALIZED IT WAS 4 YEARS AGO THIS PAST SUNDAY. MAY 18 2010

one good thing that came from this is the fact that I never learned to swim. still don't know how and have no interest in learning. but the thing I learned is how to float. on a noodle of course. I can "swim" with a noodle also. that is a lot of fun. I am no longer afraid to go in the deeper water as long as I am on my noodle. sometimes I can go to the 5 foot water (I am 5 foot 3) without the noodle. the lifeguards know I cant swim so they watch me very carefully when I go in the deeper water without my noodle. lol. they know I am there just to do exercises.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: four years after injury

Post by Carolyn J »

GOOD FOR YOU! *HEArT8*
Carolyn J
LOBPI
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by ASC »

Nothing to offer.
NZBPI2015
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c5-6 rupture, c7-8 avulsion, may 2015 via rugby awaiting surgery

Post by NZBPI2015 »

?WHAT WAS THE NATURE OF YOUR INJURY AND WHAT SURGICAL PROCEDURE DID YOU HAVE