Search found 30 matches

by swimhappy
Wed May 28, 2014 10:17 pm
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: swimming with one flail arm
Replies: 15
Views: 11028

Re: swimming with one flail arm

This post is right up my alley!! Background: I spend ~20 hours a week in the water training for swim competitions. I just got back from swimming World Championships about two weeks ago, but my real goal is London 2012 (I also competed in Beijing in 2008). I currently hold a world record in the 100 m...
by swimhappy
Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 am
Topic: Tips on fighting depression and feeling normal
Replies: 14
Views: 4843

Re: Tips on fighting depression and feeling normal

I love the advice in this thread! I also want to add that it's okay to ask for help. Too many of my friends talk about how they're "not crazy and don't need to see no shrink" and so they don't see anyone about their depression. I hate the stigma attached to psychiatrists/psychologists. The...
by swimhappy
Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:36 am
Topic: Support for TBPI athletic teenager
Replies: 16
Views: 4210

Re: Support for TBPI athletic teenager

If your son is still interested in being competitive in ski racing (and it sounds like he is!), I'd really like to introduce him to Paralympics. If it's too soon after his accident to even be contemplating it, I completely understand, but if it's not then I really encourage it! A good friend of mine...
by swimhappy
Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 am
Forum: Parents of OBPI Children
Topic: Airport full body scans
Replies: 9
Views: 2499

Re: Airport full body scans

I went through one when I flew home from Holland last summer. I simply told them that I couldn't raise my arm, and they just nodded said to do what I could. I thought it was going to be a big deal, but it wasn't at all.
by swimhappy
Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:39 pm
Topic: Who here has had success post avulsion, after surgery?
Replies: 6
Views: 5444

Re: Who here has had success post avulsion, after surgery?

I've had a graft, but not a transfer, if I'm reading the definitions correctly. My accident was 11.5 years ago, and my surgery was 11 years ago. My arm has gone from being completely flail (6 of my nerves were avulsed) to having some movement. I never lost tricep function, but I did lose all bicep f...
by swimhappy
Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:18 am
Topic: Help!! Daughter having trouble washing her hair!
Replies: 12
Views: 3316

Re: Help!! Daughter having trouble washing her hair!

I do remember the trouble with washing my hair initially. My problem, though, wasn't getting the shampoo/conditioner out but getting the shampoo spread evenly. My left side was always easier for some reason ... ;) My first problem was figuring out how to hold the shampoo since I could no longer sque...
by swimhappy
Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:23 am
Topic: Camp 2010
Replies: 9
Views: 3767

Re: Camp 2010

I'll be there that Saturday! Unfortunately, I can't stay longer than a day, but I am excited to go!!
by swimhappy
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:41 pm
Topic: Emotional Issues of Brachial Plexus Injuries
Replies: 25
Views: 10814

Re: Emotional Issues of Brachial Plexus Injuries

<r>I remember going through those exact same feelings when I was that age. It was awful. (I'm a TBPI, but my accident happened when I was 8 so I went through a lot of the same things that OBPIs go through growing up.)<br/> <br/> For me, sports and art helped me tremendously. Rather than hang out by ...
by swimhappy
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:06 pm
Topic: Is this true?
Replies: 10
Views: 2404

Re: Is this true?

<t>My right (bp) arm doesn't burn faster or worse than my other arm that I've noticed, but that's probably because I am able to put tons of sunscreen on it and I reapply often. With my left arm, however, I have to find someone else to put sunscreen on it so I apply left often. That's just me, though...
by swimhappy
Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm
Topic: ADVISE for 8 year old daughter!!!
Replies: 6
Views: 1384

Re: ADVISE for 8 year old daughter!!!

<r>One of the best things that ever happened to me was getting involved with the Paralympics. I was incredibly self-conscious about my arm until I started hanging out with people with all kinds of disability. With them, however, I'm normal. There's no staring or sympathy or awkward questions, just c...