BPI or not?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jugornot

BPI or not?

Post by jugornot »

I live in Fayetteville, NC. On 11/28/12, I had a motorist turn in front of my motorcycle into my lane. I do not remember the accident, but it looks (from my helmet, jacket and injuries) that I landed on my head and right shoulder. When the ambulance came I was conscious but had no central vision. I could see around the edges of vision but could not see faces. In the ER I was left on a gurney in the hall for about 5 hours. At this time I started having respiratory problems. After Xrays A broken scapula and 5 broke ribs were discovered and a collapsed lung. I was told they were going to watch me and then release me. After a second Xray showed further collapse of my lung and things started getting hectic. A tension pneaumothorax developed. At this time I received a chest tube. A CT scan revealed the bruised liver. During this entire time I complained of a sharp stabbing/burning sensation to the upper back part of my arm. This was ignored for the entire 11 day stay in the hospital. Fast forward to PT for my broken scapula which started about 6 weeks after discharge. I never regained full rom. The orthopedic surgeon said it was arthritis and only a shoulder replacement would fix it. 7/11/13 shoulder replacement. Same loss of rom after another bout of PT. Except for the loss of rom and weakness in shoulder and that nagging pain. Dr has rated shoulder at 50% impairment. My ribs healed mis-aligned I have numbness over my entire pec area. They poked 2 holes in my chest to put in chest tubes. Now the big question. Is this a TBPI injury I should follow up with or just left over from a motorcycle accident? One last piece of info. If I use my arm much at the limits of my rom, I develop severe pain beneath my shoulder blade. And I might mention the right shoulder blade is also winging. Any help advice or opinions welcome.

My prayers go out tonight for all those suffering with pain and injury so much more debilitating than mine. You are better people than I am.

Bill
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Re: BPI or not?

Post by ASC »

Hi Bill,
Welcome to UBPN!
Tony
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

see a neurologist. He can order an EMG to see if their is any nerve damage.

Bill
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You really have been dealing with a Lot from your injuries :shock:
You have come far in dealing them to ;)
It also time to see a doctor who deals with TBPI injuries and getting a referral from your doctor is the key.
If your doctor can not write back. Bill, is right to about getting a EMG.
I had birth erbs and a the doctor broke my Scapula to.
The worse part of theses injuries is the lack of direction from doctors , no matter when they happen :evil: :twisted:
I am glad you found us :shock: ;)
Tom
Now moved to , Denver ,Nc Lake Norman
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

Hi Bill,
Only a Dr(the right kind) can let you know the real deal about your situation. I was taken to Asheville hospital after my accident in Franklin, NC. I thought my treatment there was bad but turns out it was like Mayo compared to your experience. GOOD Luck and best wishes.
jugornot

Post by jugornot »

Thanks for all the replies. I have no idea of who to contact in my area. Many years ago I was seen by a nuerosurgeon Carol Waden. I guess I will try to see her again. She is well regarded in the area.

Bill

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu May 29, 2014 8:01 pm.