Arm Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Arm Sling

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

One thing I found true :roll: I know like others posting we need to repeat things, Because there is so mush great information that needs to repeated because things are forgotten. I know I have been redundant in answering but I do it :roll: . If you have something that was good to share please just share it again. There really is a mountain of great post information and helpful things that need to be re-added because of it being Very important to do so ;) . So please just sight it again ;) It was important to post it the first time and is not a negative thing because you have to post it again ;) :D
Tom
mjoey
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left arm totally flail from 2000 TBPI

Post by mjoey »

Hi Lisa, I wear a sling all day long. my arm is to flail, some people do not realize that means no movement, so I can't sqeeze a ball. I have tried puting my hand in my pocket but i'm afraid of breaking it if I bend over to much. So I have an assortment of slngs for every occasion. I have a local seamstress make them for me. blue ones for my everyday work,carhart ones for working outside, black ones for formall attire, camo ones for hunting, one made out of a football like material for swimming it lets the water drain thru it. all of these slings are a little longer than one you get from the hospital, b/c i want them to cover my hand, therefor people can't see it
Master DIVER TOM

I am sure that some of our injuries are the same to a point and some post may help some :roll: Some limit are usage to a point of no usage at all in the arm or hand some might improve by trying :roll:THERE way :roll: ????:( I start my life with birth erbs with a flailing arm I still have it 62 years latter. Coming from no usage in my hand and doctors telling me that I will never have usage or be-able to grasp anything was real at 10. I did not start squeezing a ball, I started by just trying to take my thumb and just try to touch my index finger and other fingers that took a long time to do before the squeezing a ball came up. I still end up with a cup hand, I cant turn my hand over and my arm still swings freely. My good grasp overtime is in my thump and first two fingers the last two not so much so my grasp comes from three finger :shock:
I really dont know if you will be-able to ever fell comfortable out of your sling,It works for you ;) . I hope you still try to find a doctor that might help your limitation or you find a way to help yourself to improve your limitation in trying to improve what you can. What work for me to improve what I could , like a ball and what work for me may not help you?? :roll: What is important is to try your way to improve or find that doctor by a real quest to do so.
I do understand 0 usage to start but our injuries are different it seems??? To :shock: :roll:
Sometimes it wishful thinking and sometime not??? :roll: The injuries just are so different :(
All we can try to do is reach out to others the best we can and by posting is the hope that we can help each other the best we can by our post ;)

Tom
Scotty7764
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motercycle accident June 8 2012. Avulsed c6-t1. Surel transfer coming soon

Post by Scotty7764 »

Hey guys,

This is actually my first post although I have been lurking for the last few months. After learning about my injury I had a shoulder ortho friend recommend the Ottobock Oma Neurexa. http://www.ottobockus.com/cps/rde/xchg/ ... 25637.html I can't begin to tell you how great it is. Helps incredibly with the sublex of the flail arm, which helps with the discomfort and pain. I should add that I avulsed the C6-T1 and have no motor control from shoulder down. This thing has kept my shoulder comfortable without using a sling and having to worry about the arm tightening up. Hope it helps like others on this forum have unknowingly helped me.
Master DIVER TOM

Here a true Fact,
The more we share then in the end by doing post we help just one person to move forwards Is a post and Very Important ;) Please remember there are Lurkers and then the New comers to this sight ;) We should restate things from past post and treat that person that never read a prevues post :roll: The beautiful thing is that when a person seek help base on experience of the person writing the post :roll: Nothing fits all question base on limitation by fact ;) The great thing is a person trying to give help base on there experience is a plus, but by limitation it fall sort of need :roll: We can only give what works for us to others to try to Help even if the injury was from birth or latter in life???? I love to see the post from people dealing with our injuries and giving advice to move forwards!!! We all look at are limitation in a mirror but it seems to me we look in the same mirror to try to help???? :roll: Every message is important and the best hope for me is to have inspired the person to move forwards from Square 1!!! I believe with All My heart every one is doing the same way by there post ;)
At 10 in the 60s the doctors said to my Mom that there was no treatment or surgeries For Me :( unfortunately your child will have a dead arm and hand for Life :evil: Its amazing what you can do in-spite of a Doctors view!!! Its just everyone that find thing that will work for them to adapt or find the right doctors Today or the person Quest to find that Doctor who can improve there limitation I think??? :roll:
Everything that can move us forward maybe the most positive thing to Con-cider.
Hugs,
Tom
tms718
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5, 6, 7 T1 avulsed since October 2, 2009.

Post by tms718 »

Scotty7764 wrote:Hey guys,

This is actually my first post although I have been lurking for the last few months. After learning about my injury I had a shoulder ortho friend recommend the Ottobock Oma Neurexa. http://www.ottobockus.com/cps/rde/xchg/ ... 25637.html
Thanks for posting this, I had been wondering for a while if something like this exists. Was this something a therapist recommended or did you kind of stumble on it yourself?
Master DIVER TOM

Ah,
We all started as Lurkers, ;) :D Were glad you posted, Interesting thing is when a person finds something to posted it helps us all ;) by doing so ;) When a person seeks help here they tend to give help the best they can to in time ;) Nothing will ever cover every ones injury because are injuries are the same in ways and some not, but any information by posting is better given then not :roll: ;)

Tom
Scotty7764
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motercycle accident June 8 2012. Avulsed c6-t1. Surel transfer coming soon

Post by Scotty7764 »

tms718 wrote:
Scotty7764 wrote:Hey guys,

This is actually my first post although I have been lurking for the last few months. After learning about my injury I had a shoulder ortho friend recommend the Ottobock Oma Neurexa. http://www.ottobockus.com/cps/rde/xchg/ ... 25637.html
Thanks for posting this, I had been wondering for a while if something like this exists. Was this something a therapist recommended or did you kind of stumble on it yourself?
Actually it was weird coincidence, I stumbled across it the same time an ortho surgeon friend of mine did. My PT/OT didn't know anything about it. According to the Ottobock rep (who came to my house and fitted me) it was just released about 6 months ago. After my insurance it was less then 20 bucks. I use the Oma with a wrist splint and it seems to work very well. If only I could better control the pain. :o